PDA

View Full Version : How nervous should I be about buying a red car?

MnRiverman
08-12-2004, 02:29 PM
And a true red, non metallic. Tornado red to be exact.

I am somewhat worried about durability of the paint, although someone can argue that has nothing to do with color. The car is garage kept, so I`m not worried about oxidation, and I`m anal as can be. However, I am wondering what I have in store for swirl marks and other paint imperfections and how well they can be noticed.

My other color choice is Blue, not too dark, just a medium blue color. I haven`t had a red car before, so I think I`ll give it a try. I just won`t ever be able to speed. :D

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerofile/1369/RedR32_2.jpg

- Anthony

Big Leegr
08-12-2004, 02:36 PM
I`ve taken care of red cars, and I`ve owned one. My biggest problem was the oxidation, as it was single stage.

As to swirls, you`ll likely be better off than someone with a black car (me now :o )

I`m not sure what you consider medium blue, but if it`s more towards light than dark, it should hide swirls better than a darker red. (lighter color, less noticeable)

Red can look very wet, deep, even candy coated, so if you take care of it, Red could be just the ticket.

Good luck on your choice, and don`t forget to post pics after each new detailing combo!

andriver
08-12-2004, 02:37 PM
My wife`s previous mustang was a red 1997. She passed it on to her son. The current state of the red mustang is that it is lightly oxidated due to being kept out in the elements. The paint is restorable but I will wait until the weather is cooler before I remove the oxidation.

Nevertheless, if you plan on garaging the car, then I say go for it. Just make sure to use a good sealer to retain the nice paint.

Bill D
08-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Yep, religious upkeep with a sealant and/or wax will make it looking great for years :up

jfelbab
08-12-2004, 02:58 PM
I`ve owned several red cars. My first was a 1964 Chevelle SS bought new. I`ve never had any problem keeping red cars looking good. They are much easier to maintain than a dark colored finish. See my "Old Red" thread for an example of how red can look after nearly 15 years of tough driving.

Red is a fantastic color, highly reflective and at the same time deep and warm. Kind of matches my personality too. :D

Michaelelts
08-12-2004, 03:31 PM
don`t be scared just take good car of it

The car in case you don`t recognize it is a Twin turbo supra 1993.5

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/dashotgun/supra/aio2.jpg

hondaguy2582
08-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Only problem I had with my 93 red cougar was getting hit by other cars(3 times).

Gonzo
08-12-2004, 04:21 PM
This red one lives in my driveway 7/24/365, Houston TX, 90+ from May through October and HUMID!. Klasse twins provide basic protection

tom p.
08-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Where you been? You gonna look good in the R32...no need to worry about that.

I would be far more concerned about the polizia than a little oxidation. Serioulsy! That R32 is a total badboyz ride. My neighbor has a black one. It`s hot.

imported_Yosemite Dan
08-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by dashotgun

don`t be scared just take good car of it

The car in case you don`t recognize it is a Twin turbo supra 1993.5

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/dashotgun/supra/aio2.jpg

That is one sweet looking Supra and love the rims too. :bow

It`s my wallpaper for this week.

One thing I notice about red is that it brings out the wet look better than any other colour.

NavindraLR
08-13-2004, 10:44 AM
if u get that r32 im gonna be pissed..!!!

lol.. but anyways, i think its actually easy to take care of a red car, and that swirls should really be an issue... helps that the red isnt that dark... just make sure u keep bein "anal" about caring for it tho...

l33
08-13-2004, 10:48 AM
2 hardest colors to take care of are red and black. If you get the car from the start, wash it properly and maintain it you should be more than fine. Nice car by the way!

MnRiverman
08-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by tom p.

Where you been? You gonna look good in the R32...no need to worry about that.

I would be far more concerned about the polizia than a little oxidation. Serioulsy! That R32 is a total badboyz ride. My neighbor has a black one. It`s hot.

I`m sure it will be OK, I am more worried about the Police rather than the paint. The car is garaged at work and at home, and seriously, what can`t a PC fix? :D :p

I`ve never had red, so I`ll go for it. I`m going to go pick it up now actually, before it starts pouring all weekend.

As for where I`ve been, I`ve been busy with vortex. Fourtitude took a while, and now just upkeep and keeping things running smoothly is taking a lot of time. :)

I am glad to be back in a GTI again... even though my A4 was such a good car, it was just a little too boring for my tastes.

- Anthony