PDA

View Full Version : Protectant for rubber seals to a frameless door?

volkl23
08-08-2004, 03:32 PM
While detailing my Subaru WRX STi, I noticed that the rubber seals to my door is starting to fade and is showing signs of really minute cracks where the window rests against the seal. I want to nip this in the bud before it gets worse.

Since I have frameless doors, do you guys have any suggestions for a product to use that WON`T get gunky reside on my windows everytime I close my doors or use my windows?

I`ve read many good things about the BMW Gummiphledge (SP) as well as the 1Z rubber protection stick. 303 comes to mind as well. Will any of these leave a residue on the windows? I should say that my windows are also tinted. I don`t know if that makes any difference, but hopefully none of these products will interfere with the edging of the tint?

As always, thanks for any tips or advice one might have for this problem. :)

Lowejackson
08-08-2004, 03:41 PM
If you apply the gummiphledge, let it soak in for about 30 minutes and then wipe off any excess.

mtodde
08-08-2004, 03:44 PM
I tried the 1Z stick. It will leave a residue on glass, but some folks here love it for door seals, etc. I would not use it on any exterior trim as it will run and leave a nasty residue if it rains. However I am using it for all of my seals. The applictor is pretty neat, but sometimes you will need to use your finger or a Qtip or something for tight spots.

I have the same problem as you with my Solara. Lots of folks love the 303 so I may try it. I am using Mother`s Back to Black in the mean time.

Has anyone used NXT Tech Protectant? I didn`t like it on my interior, but would like to use the bottle I have up.

mtodde
08-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

If you apply the gummiphledge, let it soak in for about 30 minutes and then wipe off any excess.

Great advice. This will help a lot with the residue on your glass. The only thing I found that took it off was Goo Gone.

volkl23
08-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks Lowejackson and Mtodde for your replies!

Mtodde: I take it that you`ve stopped using the 1Z gummiphledge? How do you like the back to black? Doesn`t that have patroluem distilates in it that *might* (AFAIK) harm our rubber seals?

I `ve ordered some 303 for my dash. I will try it on the rubber seals. I hope it`s strong enough for my faded seals.

volkl23
08-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

Are you talking about the 1Z (which is more runny) or the BMW version (which is more thick) gummiphledge or both?

Lowejackson
08-08-2004, 03:57 PM
I have only used the BMW version

Accumulator
08-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Back when I had a WRX I compared the 1Z and Wurth Gummi stick products (heh heh, they`re not really "sticks", btw), never tried the BMW one. Both left a residue on the glass even after I let them dry for a long time with the doors open and wiped off the excess repeatedly before closing them. Just the nature of the beast, so choose between the seals and spotless glass.

FWIW, between the two products, *I* preferred the Wurth version. As I recall, it was quite a bit less slimy and left less residue on the glass. This was on seals that had been thoroughly cleaned before treatment. Some Porsche/Audi people I know use Wurth`s Rubber Care on these seals, applied with a cloth/sponge/swab. Same type of issues, though.

volkl23
08-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks Accumulator! Sorry you parted away with your WRX :wavey What do you drive now if I may ask?

As for the Wurth product, is this the one you`re referring to:

http://autopia-carcare.com/wus-890110.html

I`ve read your other posts about it, but I think you said it was labeled as a stick. The one shown is an aerosal.

Did you ever try 303? I am ordering some and if that`ll suffice, I can save $10 by not ordering any else. I`m just afraid it won`t be strong enough for my faded and now cracking rubber seals.