PDA

View Full Version : Using CLR

PhilStatic
08-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey all, I got a quick question about CLR. I wanna touch up the frame on my Wrangler since it has a few visible rust spots, and I was wondering if hitting those spots with a little bit of CLR before I hit it with a wire brush would have any negative effects. I tried using the search function but I could only find topics about using CLR on paint :eek:

a.k.a. Patrick
08-08-2004, 01:04 PM
im curious about it myself, ive always wondered about using it for water spots !

Don
08-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Right Stuff rust converter (http://www.cli-rightstuff.com/3000.htm)

This is what I just used on several parts of my car (I did some dissassembly, and found hidden rust in a few areas).

After I wire brushed the "loose" stuff, I applied it with a brush. The wild thing was, the parts that didn`t turn black looked like they turned back into clean metal :nixweiss

When I applied it, it foamed up a bit like acid, and the change started pretty rapidly. The heaviest stuff needed a couple of applications, but what I liked about this stuff is that it`s very thin, like water and seemed to get into the tightest creases. The *PERMATEX and *PLATIKOTE rust converters almost seem like syrup compared to it and they peel off easily, but the *RIGHT STUFF is really hard once it dries (cures, or whatever)

The old guy at the hardware store had experience with it and said it worked great.

shaf
08-17-2004, 01:01 AM
There are mainly two types of rust treatment options it seems:

1) Rust remover, which is supposed to dissolve rust away after you rinse it.

2) Rust converter, which you paint over rust and don`t wash off. Converters leave some kind of paintable poly coating on the rust.

Both work similarly using phosphoric acid as the main active ingredient, but a converter simply leaves a coating and isn`t rinsed off, that`s all. I think removers (aka Naval Jelly) tend to be stronger though.

I thought CLR was supposed to be for rust stains, and not for treating rusted metal? :confused:

PhilStatic
08-17-2004, 01:27 AM
Yeah lol the CLR didnt work too good, any idea where I could find either of those two products? Thanks for the reply.

Don
08-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by PhilStatic

Yeah lol the CLR didnt work too good, any idea where I could find either of those two products? Thanks for the reply.

Most True Value hardware stores carry both

shaf
08-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by PhilStatic

Yeah lol the CLR didnt work too good, any idea where I could find either of those two products? Thanks for the reply. They should be pretty easy to find in most places that sells body repair stuff like auto paint and Bondo.

Sometimes with those products (and should be), but sometimes in the paints department too. Just ask for rust converter/remover.