PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Rotary Burn

thinksnow
08-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Inattention and a cavalier attitude lead to this debacle. I had just received my Zaino and my father wanted his car redone. Thus, I was more excited about my new LSP than the process to get there. As usual with me now, I compounded with Menzerna PG and followed with FPII.

Here comes the inattention part. My father is a runner, and *always* ties his shoes with his foot up on the rear bumper. I was taking out the numerous deep scratches with the PG, a cutting pad, and the rotary at 900rpm. The problem is, I was watching the scratches to gauge progress and not watching anywhere else.

This is my prize for stupidity:

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/4999LPB-med.jpg

No redemption from the Autopia community expected, but for 156K miles, she doesn`t look half bad.

(PG, FPII, Z2 w/ZFX, Z6, Z2 w/ZFX)

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/4999LSF-med.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/4999LSR-med.jpg

I have some paintscratch.com tri-color and clearcoat on the way, so I`ll get to showcase the before and after of the kit. It`s on the plastic, so I assumed Langka would not work in this application. Plus, I read a few threads that suggested that Langka only works with lacquer paints. I`ll do a dry run with just the kit and go from there.

Kids, PAY ATTENTION when using the rotary. Let my confession breathe new life into your healthy fear of the machine. I feel better getting this enormous embarrassment off my chest:o

Antonio Wright
08-08-2004, 10:26 AM
I am going to go out on a limb and say the top part of the bumper must have been very,very thin. I know the rotary can burn paint but at show a low speed you would have to be on it long enough for you to realise you are doing something wrong.

kartoon
08-08-2004, 10:32 AM
I`ve done 2 cars so far with a rotary and only managed one tiny burn on the edge of a door handle. It seems that all plastic parts (handles, bumpers, etc) are very delicate and extra care must be taken.

I know I`ve learned my lesson.

thinksnow
08-08-2004, 11:00 AM
My thoughts exactly to both of you. The plastic rear bumper paint feels pretty soft--thus the low speed. It doesn`t matter if you aren`t watching the edge of the pad, though;)

tguil
08-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the warning. When I finally get a chance to use my new rotary for the first time, I plan on using it at about 1000 rpms and then use only a polishing pad and Meguiar`s #3 or #82. For sure I am staying away form all edges, door handles, bumpers, etc. I`m heading for just the big flat panels and everything except those panels will be be taped and covered. :D

Tom:cool:

imported_Intel486
08-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Those plastic parts have a problem with heat. It`s not necessarily the agressiveness of the product or even the paint reaching it`s burn temp. I think it`s the surface below reaching a temp that makes it too soft.

Both Jason, for those who remember him, and myself have taken paint off that type of surface before with a rotary.