PDA

View Full Version : Who made the jump from PC to rotary?

Pages : [1] 2

twopu
08-08-2004, 08:41 AM
I`m a little frustrated with my inability to remove swirls/scratches with my pc. I have tried many approaches but nothing. I`m going to see what SSR2.5 can do but if that doesn`t work I`m going to really consider getting a rotary. I`ve read that there seems to be a split between the Dewalt and Mikita. What is the learning curve on the rotary? I`m afraid that I`m going to screw up the paint. Also, are the PC pads (DAP kit from CMA) interchangeable with rotary`s?

imported_BretFraz
08-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Lots of us have done this. You need to spend some time reading posts and doing searches. There are several threads about rotary tips and tricks.

For example, last weekend I helped a friend (SilverLexus) detail his wife`s Camry. He`d never used a rotary before and had little experience with his new PC. So what did I do? I skipped the PC part and put the rotary into his hands after a short demo. He did fine; no damage to the car.

If you`re confident with the PC, you`ll be fine with a rotary as long as you respect the machine and pay attention.

The pads are interchangable as long but backing plate are not.

thinksnow
08-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Bret said it well. I`ll accent his "pay attention" with a confession shot in a new thread so as not to hijack.

imported_Intel486
08-08-2004, 12:18 PM
I honestly think there is no need for a rotary if you are only detailing your own personal vehicle. After multiple hits with agressive products with the PC, if it can`t get them out, then the rotary probably won`t be able to either.

I just think it`s too agressive for being used regularly on the same vehicle so it`ll end up being money you invested in a tool you won`t use too often.

If you`re going to be detailing vehicle`s that haven`t been worked on before, then the rotary is a nice tool to have. So, if you plan on working on other friend`s vehicles that haven`t been detailing in awhile or plan on starting a small side business, then you should probably learn how to use the rotary.

PakShak
08-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Own both the PC 7336 and Makita 9227 rotary.

I had come across a few details that a PC just could not do it for me. The rotary finished the job in record fashion. However, I would not recommend a rotary for a novice. A PC is a good starting point. I too started with a PC before I graduated to the rotary. :D

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

Bill D
08-08-2004, 01:54 PM
I started practicing the rotary this summer. I`m still not confident with using it on the sides of a car and I won;t let myself take one to my own vehicle yet. Who knows when. :nixweiss

NavindraLR
08-08-2004, 01:55 PM
ive been using a pc for about 2 years now... so im thinkin im ready for a rotary... what do u guys think?

Bill D
08-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Navindra,

You`re overdue. Go for it! :xyxthumbs

tcfool
08-08-2004, 02:18 PM
I have a PC 7424 and a Makita 9227 rotary... I wind up using the rotary just about all the time now...

TC

;)

flyinhigh
08-08-2004, 02:30 PM
so far ive had no problems gettting swirls out with the pc..And thats with a car I thought was badly damaged.The only thing I havnt been able to get out are deep scratches.

Are you guys working the area enough??

I think Im ABackwards,I started on the rotary and went to the PC ,Just seemd alittle safer for me to use on the dark cars :D

Dont work the area long with the rotary,and get in a comfortable position on the sides.Im no expert on using it but I can use it (somewhat) :D

imported_Intel486
08-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by flyinhigh

I think Im ABackwards,I started on the rotary and went to the PC ,Just seemd alittle safer for me to use on the dark cars :D

I`m right next to ya there. I had the rotary and went to the RO. A lot easier on dark colored cars. I can walk away after polishing knowing there are no swirls and don`t have to pull the vehicle out in the sun to inspect. Heck of a lot easier especially on cloudy days.

I usually compound and correct w/ the rotary. Final polishing and waxing w/ the RO.

tangix2001
08-08-2004, 04:09 PM
I too started with the rotary and was talked into a cyclo years later by Irene at Top of the Line. I like both but I prefer the rotary.:)

Bill D
08-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Hmm..is there still some consensus that the Cyclo is sorta in between a PC and rotary?

Accumulator
08-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Hmm..is there still some consensus that the Cyclo is sorta in between a PC and rotary?

Heh heh, I guess that depends on who you ask...but yeah, I`d say the general consensus is that. Just don`t expect miracles/rotary results from the Cyclo, at least not on your Audi or the Cadillac.

I just did a quick polish of Accumulatorette`s A8 with the two Cyclos- polished with one using green (regular polishing) pads/#80, removed it with the other using MF bonnets. Left things nice and shiny but did *not* really *remove* the marring the way (proper) rotary work would have. And no, it sure wasn`t the equivalent of a multi-step polishing like I do when I`m "serious". BUT..it was *very* quick and easy (almost fun, and I wasn`t really in the mood to be polishing a car), with no masking or special care required (think truly "idiot-proof"). And IMO it turned out a *LOT* better than it would have had I used the PC. Any time you can visibly improve marring on an Audi with a quick pass using one polish and a regular pad, you`ve accomplished something! Consider that I have all three machines and lots of pads and products to choose from...this was hands-down the best I could`ve done in the time I spent on it. I even used them to apply and remove the LSP. The whole job ended up being sorta enjoyable due to the Cyclo`s user-friendly nature.

Bill D
08-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Ah, so for one`s ultimate detailing pleasure, invest in

The Terrific Trio: Rotary, Cyclo, PC :D