PDA

View Full Version : Need detailing help on `01 Mustng GT Vert

Pages : [1] 2

mwarrior
08-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Ok, if anybody has the time... Heres the products I have sitting at home (ordered them a couple of months ago but have been out of town since then so havent had a chance to use them). Suggestions on which to use? Also we have a black `00 Cherokee and `01 metallic black Mazda Protege which I can use these products on if not on the Stang.

Stang is metallic silver and here is the list of things I have:

NXT Tech Wax

NXT "spray wax" (booster wax)

303 Aerospace Protectant

Plexus

NXT Tech Protectant

a few terry pads (pads and all of above from Autopia)

Stoner IG

S100 paste wax

Lexol twins

Klasse AIO

I plan to spend at least a couple of days per car if required and am also looking at buying some Zaino (mine froze and unfroze... not recommended right? or is it still ok?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Gagan

mwarrior
08-08-2004, 04:29 AM
Some other things. Which spray would be best to use over the S100? I`ve read that the NXT is great for black paint but not that great for metallic. If anybody else has this experience, I`ll just stick with the NXT for the Cherokee since its not metallic.

Also, would it matter if I used Z2 vs Z3 on a non-clearcoated finish? Is there really that much of a difference?

And finally, I`m planning on doing the Mustang first, then Protege then finally the Cherokee, both the interior and exterior on each vehicle and would like the best finish possible. Would also buy a PC if I have to.

Gagan

pwr4all3
08-08-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by mwarrior

Some other things. Which spray would be best to use over the S100? I`ve read that the NXT is great for black paint but not that great for metallic. If anybody else has this experience, I`ll just stick with the NXT for the Cherokee since its not metallic.

Also, would it matter if I used Z2 vs Z3 on a non-clearcoated finish? Is there really that much of a difference?

And finally, I`m planning on doing the Mustang first, then Protege then finally the Cherokee, both the interior and exterior on each vehicle and would like the best finish possible. Would also buy a PC if I have to.

Gagan

I`m going to chime in here. I`ll cut right through the product hype and give you the straight facts. Myself and Mike Phillips of Meguiars tested s100/ps21s (same thing but others will say it`s different) and it actually made the finish look worse. It`s a great product but it`s second to NXT tech wax when applied with a Porter Cable DA. Now the Zaino part, people will swear by Sal’s product but I put it up against NXT tech wax and I will say when applied with a DA the NXT had a MUCH deeper shine. Obviously from a price/performance point of view the NXT is the winner because it doesn`t require a million prep steps or cost 50.00 for a starter kit by the time you get everything. Now I bet you`re asking if the PC is worth the money. YES! Not just cause I want to be lazy and not do it by hand, but it actually yields way better results. Just ask Scott Wax, he used to detail by hand (and danm good job at it) and even he thinks the PC has better results. Although I have seen people with PC using bad techniques that couldn`t match his work by hand. I read through your list of products and it sounds pretty good, except you have a lot of product doing duplicate work. Here is the approach I would take.

1. Wash the car with a high quality washing device of your choice (some favorites are a chenille wash mit, lambs wool wash mit and then there is the good old` sponge)

2. You really need to clay the vehicle to remove bonded contaminants to the paint. If you can run your hand over the paint and it feels rough you need to clay it to get it smooth. Why smooth is better? You`re waxing over ground in dirt if you don`t clay.

3. Polishing step... boy there so many good products here such as Meguiars DACP, Swirl Free Polish, Menzerna just to name a few. This step is one you really don`t want to skimp on. The polishing step removes surface defects and brings a deep luster back to the paint.

4. Choose a good wax to seal in all that hard work. Meguiars NXT tech wax is the best wax I have tested. It`s cheap, it`s easy to use, has great results and readily available.

That 303 protectant you mentioned is my favorite. It offers a non glossy natural surface restorer.

This should get you started. Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

- Randy

imported_memnuts
08-08-2004, 06:02 AM
Since car time seems to be a preimium and if paint is in good condition (only minor marring) I would use NXT as a pre-cleaner/polish (there are better polishes but working within your inventory) with a PC. If no PC go straight to the AIO x2 to clean and lay down some acrylic protection. Top with you "once frozen" Zaino. Only use the Z if it can be agitated back to a smooth consistent solution. You should be good for several months with just washing and QD`ing.

If Zaino is beyond repair and no PC:

AIO x2 and P21S but similiar to having NXT as the LSP, be prepared to re-do every 2-3 weeks in order to maintain that just waxed appearance.

Of course the best route is an anal prep. If you travel that route (equal prep for all products tested) apply some NXT, P21S, and Zaino (if usable) and compare the appearance you like but leave the test panel alone. Do the remainder of the vehicle with product of choice. Analysis tests panel after subsequent washing and environmental exposure and record the appearance changes and protection indicators. This may help in deciding which product is best for your allotted time for paint care.

You have some good-excellent products so whatever your choice you will not lose out in the appearance arena with a good Prep. Performance and the ability to maintain that "just waxed" glow will definitely differ between these products. :xyxthumbs

mwarrior
08-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys :) So now that we have the exterior taken care of (i`ll be doing this in 2weeks so i`ll definitely post before/after pics), what about the interior? And also the convertible top?

blkZ28: I dont think i`ll have enough time to do the test of all 3 on one vehicle, but I can do one per vehicle and go that route. And from what i`ve read/seen P21S=S100 so that one`s fine.

As for paint condition, it is good on the mustang but quite a few swirl marks on the Mazda and lots on the Cherokee. Mustang and Mazda have both been clayed in the last year but I plan on claying all 3 before detailing them.

pwr4all: You mentioned a polish before the wax. Would the Zaino work or is there anything better/cheaper?

As for the PC, any suggestion for pads? Any particular "method" to use? By the looks of things they probably wont get another GOOD QD or waxing for at least 4-5months as I`ll be out of town again and parents and sister will be driving the car (none of who believe in spending any time to clean/wax/detail).

So far here`s what i`m thinking as a "for sure" unless anybody says otherwise:

Stoners IG: on the glass (obviously) all around inside and out. Windows on Mustang are tinted but this is supposed to be good for tints too)

Lexol Twins for the leather (would this work for vinyl too?)

Plexus for the clear plastic parts (cluster, radio, etc)

Now for the rest, AIO and 303: do they do the same thing? Which is better for the dash and interior/exterior plastic?

Heres a possibility for the combos:

Clay, Zaino, then S100 on Mustang

Clay, (polish suggested), then NXT on Protege

and maybe Clay, Zaino, NTX on Cherokee

Also while I`m on the detailing binge, what about the engine bay? Any way to safely do that or make it look at least a bit cleaner (hoses, maybe block, etc)?

Gagan

locutus
08-08-2004, 03:52 PM
i have an silver metallic `03 GT, and i have tried lots of products. what gives me the best results so far is zaino. nxt comes in a close 2nd.

mwarrior
08-08-2004, 04:30 PM
locutus: Any topper or just lots of zaino? I`ve heard that topping with S100 will help.

Also, what do you use on the trim and interior? Pics? :)

locutus
08-08-2004, 05:08 PM
mostly zaino, although i have tried nxt with a zaion topping. thought that looked very good. as for the interior, usually hust leather conditioner for the seats. i`m not too big on dashboard products as i think they make for too much glare, and they act like a big dust magnet. usually i use a wak soap and water.

mwarrior
08-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Not bad at all. Last time I used Zaino (full thing, before ZFX was out) my car actually started to look more satin than silver. Got LOTS of looks and everybody in a McDonalds drivethru staring outside :D

Any suggestions for tire products that dont run or sling?

jimc
08-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Here`s my 01 GT with Meg`s 7,9 & 16

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8046&papass=&sort=1

:xyxthumbs

locutus
08-08-2004, 06:41 PM
so far i`ve had best luck with meguiars endurance (the stuff that smells like grape bubble gum) also i meant to include this image on the previous response.

94BlkStang
08-08-2004, 06:53 PM
There are many products available that will yield some impressive results, but will only do so with the proper prep. You`ll get recommendations of NXT, S100, Zaino, Natty`s, Pinnacle etc and they will all yield some very nice results if you prep the car properly. I`ve really come to like DACP, followed by Vanilla Moose glaze. This so far has yielded me some very impresive results without much effort. I have topped with S100, NXT and #26 on different occassions and have been satisfied with each result. Right now I`m experimenting with some Poorboys EX P and will top it with S100. Have fun and enjoy, but remember, the final results are only as good as your prep.:D

mwarrior
08-08-2004, 07:05 PM
So how does this sound for a prep?

Dish soap, followed by Clay, then car wash soap? And then followed by the layers of Zaino + S100 or NXT depending on vehicle.

Anybody have suggestions on the interior and engine bay? :) Might as well go all out and do everything if I`m already starting. And also, hand or PC? If PC, what kind of pads to use and are they reusable?

imported_SilverStallion
08-08-2004, 08:24 PM
I too will chime in here. As a former Zaino user, the Klasse Twins (AIO and SG) topped with P21S is the BEST combination that I have seen on Silver Paint. I use it on my show car (2000 Mustang GT) and on my 2003 BMW 330i daily driver and they look incredible. It takes fewer coats of Klasse to produce a better level of shine and reflectivity.

Pics:

http://images6.fotki.com/v97/photos/5/50728/1192816/DSC00529-vi.jpg

http://images6.fotki.com/v75/photos/5/50728/969001/DSC00255-vi.jpg

http://images6.fotki.com/v79/photos/5/50728/969001/DSC00256-vi.jpg

Good luck!

~Darren

Antonio Wright
08-08-2004, 09:02 PM
SilverStallion, :bow but the car roles would be reversed. ;)