PDA

View Full Version : Black, 1999, Mazda Miata - Help

GotBMW
08-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Hi! :)

My black 1999 Mazda Miata is ruined with cobweb and swirl effects. As you can see here:

http://www.tuningpt.com/store/miata_oz/IMAG0012.JPG

http://www.tuningpt.com/store/miata_oz/IMAG0015.JPG

The cobweb and swirl effects can be seen all over the car. It`s even worse than in the pictures :(

I have a Porter Cable 7424, with Autopia kit of Orange cutting pad, White polishing pad and Grey finishing pad. (and the velcro base to fit the pads)

I have no experience... :confused:

What is the best way to detail my car and get rid of the cobweb/swirl marks?

- Which products to use?

- With which pads, and in which order?

- What is de advised speed and pressure to use with the 7424, using those products?

Thank you very much for your help!

Sergio, from Portugal (Europe)

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
08-07-2004, 11:24 PM
I have a `99 emerald mica green miata. I had lots of cobweb swirls too...not quite as badly as your I don`t think. But that could just be the way the camera took the picture of your car.

Anyways, here`s what I did and it came out pretty well:

- washed

- dried

- taped

- clayed

- DACP with a yellow LC pad. Speed 5. Had to do 2 times in some problem areas

- #9 and/or FP II. I was doing tests so I ended up using #9 in some places but FP II in most places. Applied with a white LC pad. Speed 4

- AIO by hand

That got rid of most of the swirls. I left some of the deeper "scratch-like" lines alone because it`s my daily driver so I know it`s going to get more anyways. After that I put on my toppers (FMJ x 2, #16 x 2)

Took me forever to do...but I`m a slowpoke at this detailing stuff.

jimmybuffit
08-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Welcome to Autopia, Sergio!

Nice ride! It has great potential. My 12 year old Black and Tan looks wonderful.

What kind of polishes are available to you?

I believe an Autopian named Aqua is in Lisbon, perhaps he can offer some advice on appropriate products available in your local market.

EDIT: Aqua is in Madrid, alot further, I`m sure. But he may still have an awareness of available products.

Jim

Big Leegr
08-08-2004, 08:09 AM
jgv is in Portugal, I believe. He also, as far as I know, is a distributor of some lines. Give him a pm and see if he can help!