PDA

View Full Version : marred paint from nylon strap.

White95Max
08-07-2004, 10:44 PM
I carry my kayak on my car, and last weekend the front strap (runs from front tow hook through cord on front of kayak and back to other front tow hook) managed to slide from the front of the hood to the front of the fender. When the strap was flapping against the paint with the help of 75mph winds on the freeway, it created some nasty looking marks on the top of the fender.

I do have a bunch of terry cloths that I put between each strap and the paint, but when the strap slid onto the fender, the towel slid down to the end of the strap, leaving my paint unprotected. The strap was slapping my paint for a couple minutes or more before I noticed that the towel was not there.

What can I use to remove this damage?

Is there any way I can remove it by hand or do I need to get a PC?

If pictures are necessary, I should have my new digital camera by Friday.

Accumulator
08-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Yikes, sorry to hear about that. I dunno if you can *fix* it by hand (or even fix it period ;( ), but I`m sure you can make it better. Get some abrasive polishes (don`t bother with the #7, it`s nonabrasive) in different grades (aggressive - mild) and go at it. Simple concept, tough to do. If you don`t have these on hand, look for an autobody/paint supply place and get something like 3M PI-III RC (pn 05933) and PI-III MG (pn 05937). Maybe even something more aggressive than the RC. Use the aggressive products until the marring looks *almost* good enough, then switch to the MG.

White95Max
08-08-2004, 12:03 PM
So those two products can be applied by hand?

Which one is more aggressive?