PDA

View Full Version : Spies- Hecker paint.

Pages : [1] 2

Intercooled
08-07-2004, 07:28 PM
My car was painted with Spies -Hecker paint.( A german Paint). It sure looks deep!! I noticed that the clear is pretty soft. Is there anyone who has had experience with this paint and is there anything that I Should know about detailing it. I have only Zaino`d it and now its time to apply some polish to clean up some micro maring.

Bill D
08-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Hmm ... Audi OEM paint is Spies-Hecker and I sure do find it hard, I can almost never polish it successfully by hand and I always seem to have to use an involved routine with my PC just to get out defects visible only under 1000 watt halogens!

Definitely have a PC hand to tackle that micromarring!

Scottwax
08-07-2004, 08:35 PM
The front end of my Honda was repainted by Mister Collision in Dallas using Spies-Hecker paint. It seems at least as hard as my original Accord paint and has held up very well over the last nearly 5 years.

Intercooled
08-07-2004, 09:36 PM
The body shop told me that it is a softer clear coat. They said the paint is probably the highest quality you can get. It has a high amount of solids in it.

Scottwax
08-07-2004, 09:58 PM
I have noticed it didn`t seem to chip nearly as easily as the original paint but when working it with polishes, etc, it seems to respond about the same.

Bill D
08-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Intercooled, if it gets some very minor micromarring like the kind I described, try polishing it out by hand with a very mild, non filling polish ( or use the IPA after to see what was left behind)

If it responds well, that would be great! :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
08-08-2004, 11:09 AM
The S-H paint used by the OEMs is probably a different formulation than the stuff used by aftermarket paint shops- this would explain the differences in hardness.

As Bill D said, anyone who`s worked OE Audi clear would never say that the factory S-H paint is soft, but Intercooled certainly knows what he`s experiencing. Must be different stuff for different applications.

Bill D
08-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Agh, why could S-H just have the same formulation for *everything* !

jimmybuffit
08-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Among others, Grumpy tells me that refinish paints HAVE to be different formulations. The simple explanation is that factory paint is truly baked, before installation of the many subassemblies. Refinished cars just can`t take the heat... melted wiring, ruined leather, and on and on.

So, refinish paint cures by way of some heat, substantial airflow, and time. That`s why we wait at least thirty days before sealing the paint. Outgassing, yeah, that`s the ticket.

It is very similar to how a sealant cures. How many of us use "substantial airflow" over a vehicle for 12-24 hours after applying a sealant? Try it.

Jim

lkirchner
08-12-2004, 11:09 AM
From what I understand the S-H is a 2 part urethane and the heat is caused by the chemical reaction. I have had 3 cars painted using either S-H or Glassurit, again German and a 2 part urethane.

calcollision
02-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Hello,

I just acquired Spies Hecker for my new bodyshop - brand new system, for which I`m very proud. However earlier post stated that the paint feels a bit soft. Any recommendation from anyone? I`m now a bit concerned as I`ve never used Spies, my old shop had Glasurit.

Thanks

C. Charles Hahn
02-19-2012, 01:56 AM
Hello,

I just acquired Spies Hecker for my new bodyshop - brand new system, for which I`m very proud. However earlier post stated that the paint feels a bit soft. Any recommendation from anyone? I`m now a bit concerned as I`ve never used Spies, my old shop had Glasurit.

Thanks

There are a LOT of variables that can affect how paint cures. For your part, just make sure you follow the P-sheets to the letter and use the right hardener and reducer for the environment of your paint booth.

And yeah, remember that OE paint is thermocured, so it has a different chemistry than refinish materials.

Scottwax
02-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Hello,

Thanks

You might want to contact Aldo at Mister Collision Inc | Auto Body Repair Dallas, TX`75234 | Dallas Auto Collision Repair Shop & Service Center (http://www.mistercollision.com) I know his shop has used Spies-Hecker paint for a couple of decades now.

Accumulator
02-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I recenty had some paintwork done at Lake County Collision, AKA [The Bodyshop Formerly Known as Stoddard], and per usual they used the latest stuff from S-H. Post-outgassing/curing, it was typically "Audi-hard".

Bill D
02-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Ah, S-H. I believe that`s my hard Audi paint. It can be infamously tedious to correct.