PDA

View Full Version : New 3-series

rstype
08-07-2004, 01:09 PM
The updates seem awfully conservative. The proportions remain the same, as well as the rear seats and windows. I guess it`s a C6-type refresh?

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/372exterior10-med.jpg

The 330i gets 258 hp now.

More pics here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=844762&postcount=32

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=844762&postcount=34

tkr128
08-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Hm...not bad! It looks like a more modern version of the E46. :up

Turbofree
08-07-2004, 04:53 PM
I am I right in thinking that the 3 series will be saloon and touring only and a 4 series will be established for the coupe?

imported_Dude
08-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Not bad.

Does anyone know whether the 3-series has the active steering? I really hope not. It could be a deal breaker.

acrl
08-07-2004, 09:26 PM
its looks angry up front. eh, i don`t care too much for bmw`s styling anymore other than the 7 and the 6.

DETAILKING
08-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Not crazy about the back....front looks mean.

imported_Griz
08-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Eh, I think even after firing Bangle, BMW needs to clean house on their design team.

Sirslap2
08-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Did they fire Bangle?

It looks fairly "Bangle-esque" to me.

His designs have grown on me but I am not totally convinced yet.

andriver
08-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Bangle has been kicked upstairs. I think it will take some time to get used to the new 3 series but I think it will grow on me.

imported_Griz
08-08-2004, 09:17 PM
No bangle wasn`t fired, he was moved to some other division with a new title but he doesn`t have the design control he once had. I forget who it was that replaced him.

The 3 is a good looking car, but it hardly resembles any of the preceding 3`s. This new one does have the grill and similar lines along the c-pillar through the trunk, and has the wheels pushed to the corners. Even so this car is not an evolved or refined version, instead it`s a different car. Oh well, my opinions, love em or hate em.

Jason

lpquick
09-03-2004, 08:55 PM
The nose looks like an angry shark IMHO, beedy eyes and black hole for a mouth, I don`t like it.:argue

imported_prgallo
09-03-2004, 09:17 PM
We`ve had at least one BMW in the garage since `87 and have loved them.

But they`ve lost it, the sides of the new 3 look like a S Type Jag, the rest could be a Toyota, which isn`t bad if you buy one from Toyota and not BMW!

I looked at a 5 series earler today, man in person they just look worse than the photos...

They just all look like crap to me! (except maybe the Z4, somehow that one works)

And I`m a BMW CCA member too, gotta drop that too.

imported_garyo
09-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Turbofree

I am I right in thinking that the 3 series will be saloon and touring only and a 4 series will be established for the coupe?

I would say you are right, except for the fact BMW has said the M3 version will be a couple and it will still be an M3 instead of a M4 because they have too much good will in the M3 name. So, I don’t know what that will do with coupe version of the 3 series.

I won’t draw too many conclusions until I see it in person. But first glance looks like just a slight evolution of the current 3 series. Which I guess shouldn’t be surprising considering the flak BMW has received for the 5 and 7 series and the poor sales of the Z4. You just knew they were going to be conservative because the 3 is their bread and butter car. Indications are the car will not contain the active steering and/or the i-drive system. Prices are rumored to have significant increases unless there is a change in the economy and exchange rates for the Euro/Dollar.

DantePasquale
09-07-2004, 01:51 PM
To each his own, I just don`t care for the new style BMW.

I was lucky to get a 2003 525i at the beginning of this year. It is the `old` body style, which I absolutely love! I think I will have my `old` BMW for a long time.:xyxthumbs

imported_Griz
09-08-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by prgallo

We`ve had at least one BMW in the garage since `87 and have loved them.

But they`ve lost it, the sides of the new 3 look like a S Type Jag, the rest could be a Toyota, which isn`t bad if you buy one from Toyota and not BMW!

I looked at a 5 series earler today, man in person they just look worse than the photos...

They just all look like crap to me! (except maybe the Z4, somehow that one works)

And I`m a BMW CCA member too, gotta drop that too.

I agree with much of what you`re saying. I wouldn`t drop out of the CCA though. I think most of the writers for Roundel have given up on the styling as well... and the new iDrive. There was an article in last month`s issue that had a review of the convertible 6, something to the effect `if you think it looks like a solara, and it goes by too quickly to read the badge... it was the 6.` Regardless, I plan on renewing my membership next month... entertaining monthly articles, tech-tips, discounts, club activities, etc.

Jason