PDA

View Full Version : taping off edges.

Duckman
08-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Can someone explain to me the purpose for taping of the edges of a panel? Taping off trim is a no-brainer, but I don`t understand why esges need to be taped... thanks

chris0626
08-06-2004, 09:48 PM
I`m not entirely certain what you`re asking. But folks have warned me that when using a PC, it`s easy to burn-thru the edges. Maybe that`s the rationale of the advice you`re reading.

mnbv
08-06-2004, 09:51 PM
possibly to prevent wax from getting in there.

ps: what is that in your aviatar?

thinksnow
08-06-2004, 10:11 PM
I wouldn`t worry about it with hand or pc usage.

Taping off panel edges is used to avoid excessive paint leveling when using the rotary. Anywhere the paint is curved or comes to "a point," the paint is more susceptible. For example, if you were compounding the trunklid using a rotary, you would tape off the rear quarter panels on each side so that the edge (of the quarter panel) would not build up excessive heat.

MongooseGA
08-06-2004, 11:52 PM
so with a PC its not necessary to tape off the edges? i can understand tapin off the `gaps` to prevent polish/wax from building upin there...

in the e-book that black porsche was taped off when David was using a PC... maybe im missing something.

btw thinksnow: where in VA beach are you?

thinksnow
08-07-2004, 12:14 AM
Perhaps someone else has had problems with polish or wax build-up in panel gaps:nixweiss

I haven`t had this problem, but I have purposefully burned test panels with the rotary enough to see the need in this case. Grab your PC, put the speed on 6 with your most abrasive compound and hold in one place for 10 seconds. Then touch the paint--it will only be slightly warm. (note: don`t do this test with the rotary on paint you like:)) Thus, taping off with only PC or hand work must be for easier clean-up. YMMV.

I`m on the western branch of the Lynnhaven River, about 10 minutes south of the Lesner Bridge (by boat), but not for long. In a week, I`ll be Thinksnow from Williamsburg.

Duckman
08-07-2004, 03:05 AM
my avatar is the 100th anniversary ford logo on my Centennial edition focus

acrl
08-07-2004, 01:16 PM
thinksnow, you`re not too far from me. I live like 2 mins west of the Lesner Bridge. mongoose, where are you from?

08-07-2004, 01:22 PM
taping off edges also helps to keep splatter (from rotery) out of areas that are a pain in the butt to clean out.for example between the front door and front fender.