PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh.. Too much soap!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

theoii
08-06-2004, 09:25 AM
I tried searching for instructions on fixing what I`ve done.. but I couldn`t pull together the right search terms. or maybe I`m the first to be so stupid as to use too much soap and not enough water in the mixture :(

Anyways, I did this actually about 2 months ago. I noticed water was like disappearing from areas of the paint on the roof of my car, and I noticed it beginning to happen on the hood and I was like ohhhhh shi.. :(

I had only done my roof and hood up to the point where I noticed, so those were the only 2 spots on my car that suffered.

I will have pictures to show you all, but it looks like the clear coat was stripped down or something.. I can`t really tell what happened exactly. but the paint looks faded and its just not a consistent color all the way across.

I`ve waxed it many times, along with clay barring it thoroughly, but nothing helps (for a long period of time). I figured I`d make this post without pictures just in case this is a frequent problem, and it is fixable. But if not I`ll have the pictures up sometime today.

BTW, glad to be a member of these forums here :) I found out about them on the acura-legend.com forums.

Thanks in advance

Jesstzn
08-06-2004, 09:30 AM
You kind of lost me here .. you did the roof one week .. the hood the next?

What are you using for soap?

tom p.
08-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

You kind of lost me here .. you did the roof one week .. the hood the next?

Yeah, you`re not the only one.

zoom, can you tell us what you mean? Did soap strip off your clearcoat? :scared

topnotchtouch
08-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Kind of lost me as well. If I understand what I think I do you are thinking that mixing too much soap caused your clearcoat to fail? I can`t see how that would happen. There has to be some other explanation. If it is the car in your sig do you think it is possible it just failed due to being 16 year old paint? The horizontal surfaces like the roof, hood and trunk are going to be the first places you will see clearcoat start to fail. If we are talking about a single stage paint maybe it is just oxidation in which case you need to use an abrassive or chemical cleaner to remove it.

andriver
08-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Is your roof oxidated?

togwt
08-06-2004, 10:01 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The only ‘soap’ that could have this effect on clear coat by drying out the oils is actually dishwashing liquid detergent (Dawn) but even that would not happen with one wash.

It does sound like paint oxidation (the oils in the resin (paint) system drying out) Dependant on how serious it could be corrected with a solvent type cleaner (Klasse AIO) or it make take an abrasive machine polish

~Hope this helps ~

* justadumbarchitect so I question everything *

Experience unshared is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

theoii
08-06-2004, 10:01 AM
ooooo i`m sorry for the confusion all! lol.. i`m not good at wording things sometime on the net.. much easier in person :p

it was dumb of me to mention how i was my car, obviously that was the confusing part. i wash my roof, then move to the next section of the car, that week i went to the hood next. i washed the roof then hood with soap, simple as that lol.. some weeks i`ll wash the trunk next.. it was dumb to mention that lol

i got the pictures though. i use duragloss car cleaning soap. it says use 3 caps of soap per 1 gallon of water.

i`m not sure if my car`s paint is original or not, i know its never been in a major accident though. i know that that bucket of soap was what did it to my paint. it only happened on the 2 sections i had washed before i realized that it was causing it.

hopefully you all understand what has happened now. here are the pictures

http://z00mz00m.spectrum-computers.org/hood1.jpg

http://z00mz00m.spectrum-computers.org/hood2.jpg

http://z00mz00m.spectrum-computers.org/hood3.jpg

http://z00mz00m.spectrum-computers.org/roof.jpg

see? it appears to be scratched beneath the surface. and yes I believe that the clear coat was stripped possibly! :( would that explain it? if so what is the best course of action for me to take??

BTW sorry for puttin this in the wrong forum, i didn`t check good enough before posting

thanks for the quick replies though

theoii
08-06-2004, 10:03 AM
also, the car isn`t completely clean right now, i wash going to wash it today. i have a full collection of pictures from 2 weeks ago, i washed and detailed it. hopefully you can see that the paint is still in very good shape in other areas of the car. and in my pictures u can`t tell that my roof and hood are messed up. it doesn`t appear bad unless you are looking at it closely

http://z00mz00m.spectrum-computers.org/julypics/

btw, i editted my main post.. maybe that clears up some of the confusion

andriver
08-06-2004, 10:38 AM
I am not familiar with Duragloss. I assume it`s an over the counter soap. Try using Megs Gold Class or Eagle One soap.

Next, use a good polish and wax or sealant. Locally, you should be able to purchase some of the meg polishes and waxes. Good luck.

gnahc79
08-06-2004, 10:45 AM
What did you use to wash the car with? How do the affected areas feel, grainy/smooth/etc?

I doubt the clearcoat was stripped.

tom p.
08-06-2004, 10:50 AM
I think. ;)

It looks like your clearcoat is wasted but it`s real hard to be certain from the pix.

Don`t blame it on your shampoo selection....it`s an unfortunate aging process.

For future reference, I would not use the 3 caps per gallon of water recommendation. Duragloss is a nice product and I typically measure out 1 TBS. in 2 gallons of water and still get a butt-load of suds... no shortage there.

(out of curiosity, has this 16 year old car lived in a very hot climate?)

theoii
08-06-2004, 11:06 AM
I forgot to fill in my location. I am in central North Carolina. The car has been in NC its whole life as a matter of fact. Again, I`m not sure of the age of the paint. According to carfax, the car was in a very minor rear end accident in Charlotte in like 1992. That`s it though.

My family uses all duragloss products because my dad knows someone at his gym that works for duragloss. I have some of their wax and polishes (they are old though). But I have been using Zymol cleaner wax mainly.

The product that had the best effect on my hood so far was some old Duragloss 111 Cleaner/Polish. It claimed that it would remove water spots and boy did it ever.. I put a coat of Zymol on over that and the hood looked good for a while. Then back to normal for the main part.

I might go all out with some Meguiars on Sunday. What do you guys recommend? BTW I will be getting it from Advance Auto, so it can`t be something that I can`t find there.

And guys, I`m sure that whatever happened, happened because of that wash. My paint was excellent before that.

I can`t really explain what happened too good, you really needed to see it. The water started moving off of areas of the paint that had just been washed, and the area it left was dry and very smooth. As you can see in the pictures, there are many scratches and impurities.

If anyone is ambitious enough, contact me on AIM @ UNCTarheelz2001. I`m up for chatting about it right now :)

Thanks

theoii
08-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by TOGWT

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

It does sound like paint oxidation (the oils in the resin (paint) system drying out) Dependant on how serious it could be corrected with a solvent type cleaner (Klasse AIO) or it make take an abrasive machine polish

I missed your post earlier. That sounds like it could be true.. But then again, why would it only occur on those 2 sections of the car after I`d washed them?

I dumped that bucket of soap and water and made up a new one with less soap and washed the rest of my car that same day.. The rest of the paint was fine.

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
08-06-2004, 11:12 AM
If you`ve been using the same car wash soap all this time and this is the first time it happened then maybe you put the wrong chemical in your bucket by accident? i.e. you might`ve not used soap but something else from a bottle that LOOKED like your soap bottle?

I`m just throwing out ideas as to why this sudden change.

theoii
08-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by YouGottaBeLeaf

If you`ve been using the same car wash soap all this time and this is the first time it happened then maybe you put the wrong chemical in your bucket by accident? i.e. you might`ve not used soap but something else from a bottle that LOOKED like your soap bottle?

I`m just throwing out ideas as to why this sudden change.

https://www.duragloss.com/new/images/products/ex-cleaners/901.gif

we have that soap, but in a much larger container with a big handle on it. No way I mixed that up with any other products I have. I`m positive of that. Plus the fact that the soap is purple and much more liquidy than any wax/polish I could have used anyways by accident

But just out of curiousity.. what could have done this? Maybe something was in my brush that I didn`t get out good enough. Its a very long handled brush that my mom could have used on windows or something. Who knows