PDA

View Full Version : How to clean Vinyl half-top on `93 Chrysler Imperial

jtfolden
10-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Hey all,

I`ve got a `93 Chrysler Imperial with a white vinyl half-top. The exterior is in pretty excellent shape except for this vinyl. A large portion of it seems stained, almost as if the previous owner had let it sit under a tree and grow mold/mildew on it at some point. :mad:

I`ve tried a mild detergent and, also, BlueMagic vinyl/convertible top cleaner and gotten nowhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is the only bign exterior issue it has and it`s ruining the look of the car. I`ve wondered, since this vinyl is white, if there might not be some way to bleach it but I`m rather clueless when it comes to exterior vinyl of this sort.

Thanks,
John

Focusedonsound
10-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Have you tried a soft bristled brush?

My recomendation would be to try some Oxy clean thats the harshest i would go it maybe one of those things that you might have to spray and let sit for 10 mins or so and then go back to it and start scrubbing.

Poorboy
10-20-2004, 08:34 AM
without seeing it I would not give any recommendations, but what ever you use here`s a warning....be sure it`s ok to get on paint as it will be dripping and be aggitated and excess will be getting on the paint:eek

Larry A
10-20-2004, 01:55 PM
You can try Westleys Bleach-White white wall cleaner but be very very careful not to get it on the paint. Put it on a small area and scrub with a brush and then wipe dry. When you are done rinse with running water.

grisby
10-20-2004, 02:11 PM
On my 72 GS I use "Amazing Rolloff"--I don`t know if this site sells it but properautocare does. Works pretty well. I put a 4inch brush on my PC and set it on 2-3 and work it very slowly. I must say it cleans really good. I have tried other brands and they didn`t work as well as this stuff.
Hope this helps
bill g

jtfolden
10-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Much thanks everyone... I`ll try some of the suggestions listed and see how it goes. I, also, try to get some photos up if I still don`t get anywhere.

btw, Focusedonsound, I did try a soft brush but it made no difference. Frankly, the vinyl top seems incredibly clean now - just can`t get rid of the stains or whatever they are....

I`m curious though, what anyone thinks of trying something made for bathroom tile and vinyl? Some of those products are specifically formulated for mold/mildew and do seem to remove the associated stains rather well.

Beemerboy
10-21-2004, 04:35 PM
I`ve cleaned many with a soft plastic brush and 409 while washing the car. I always work in small area and rince off right away so not to have to much run off on the car. If the top is stained that might be permit. You can try some harsher stuff but run the risk of making it worse. At some point you may want to just leave it or have it died again

jtfolden
10-21-2004, 04:39 PM
I`ve cleaned many with a soft plastic brush and 409 while washing the car. I always work in small area and rince off right away so not to have to much run off on the car. If the top is stained that might be permit. You can try some harsher stuff but run the risk of making it worse. At some point you may want to just leave it or have it died again

Thanks... a friend mentioning having the vinyl dyed if worse came to worse. I`d heard previously about people doing this to interior vinyl but wonder how durable it is for exterior application. My understanding is that while it may not exactly be paint, its not a true "dye" either.

edschwab1
10-23-2004, 12:02 AM
I would try Amazing Roll off by Bell Chemical as grisby recommended. You may be able to Amazing Roll-off in a RV or boat supply store. Other products are is Raggtopp cleaner or Meguiars #39.

Eric