PDA

View Full Version : SG application question

MarcBickham
08-05-2004, 06:55 AM
Two evenings ago, I washed, clayed, washed, polished and AIO`d one of my cars. I then went to bed. The car sat in the garage all day yesterday, albeit the door was open and it was kinda windy. After dinner, I decided to do the first SG layer. I could see some light surface dust, so I used my CCD and it appeared to be gone. I then applied the SG. After I was finished, I was wiping my hand over the hood and could feel a few little bumps. The vertical panels didn`t have any, but the roof did as well. Is it possible that I missed some debris and the SG "sealed" it in? I figured if there was any dust left over, it would be wiped off with my pad, not sealed in.

Also, does anyone think that AIO leaves a slicker finish than SG. I`ve never thought the SG layer was as slick as the AIO layer. What`s another option for a slick AIO topper?

spotter
08-05-2004, 07:33 AM
I think you should definitely have used a QD to get all of the dust before applying SG. After all the work you have done I would not settle for the "little bumps". Personally I would wash, redo the AIO, and then apply SG. After the next car wash I would apply another layer of SG. I think you will find the SG, if applied extremely thin, will be every bit as slick as AIO and most anything else as well.

However, I am only an amateur myself and would certainly weight any expert opinions over my own......and I am sure you will get some. Good luck!

andriver
08-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Agree with Outlaw.

MarcBickham
08-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Do you think the SG could actually SEAL specs of dirt/dust onto the previous layer of AIO? Maybe these were there after the AIO and I just never noticed.

Regardless of how thin I apply SG, it just never feels as smooth to me. I do like the protection, though.

togwt
08-05-2004, 08:29 AM
~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

I usually do a ‘Schnell-alternate’: (Klasse Wash) Wash vehicle, apply "All-in-One" to entire vehicle while it’s still wet using a damp 100% cotton towel, re-wash, rinse, and dry vehicle, before applying SG.

It is more than possible to `seal` dirt by the application of a (synthetic or natural wax) protection over it.

~ Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

imported_memnuts
08-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Most likely what you are feeling is a sap or sap-like fallout that attached itself on your horizontal surfaces overnight. That is why you do not have this problem on the sides of your vehicle.

A QD session prior to the SG should have rectified problem. A quick claying will fix the problem now. Maybe even a wash. Re-apply SG afterwards. JMHO

MarcBickham
08-05-2004, 08:44 AM
I appreciate your opinions - sounds like I shoulda QD`d and not been so lazy:~()

Thinking more about it though, I`d be willing to bet that these were spots that I missed while claying and that they were there after the AIO. Intuition tells me that they stand too proud of the surface to have been contaminants that my CCD, SG application with foam and removal with MF all missed.

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
08-05-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by buckslayer

What`s another option for a slick AIO topper?

I top my AIO with Menzerna FMJ. FMJ is very easy to apply and remove and is very slick. According to the ProperAutoCare site the UV protection is better than that of the SG too.

SG: see the chart at the bottom: http://www.properautocare.com/kla-gla.html

FMJ: see the chart at the bottom: http://www.properautocare.com/menzernafmj.html

I even topped my FMJ with #16 for the heck of it and it came out great.

stevet
08-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Buckslayer,

I find AIO to be slicker than SG to. Try 4* UPP over AIO, this stuff is very slick.

Jesstzn
08-05-2004, 10:42 AM
I don`t think QDing between AIO and SG is a good plan in a case like this .. One of the ideas of AIO is to provide a good clean surface for SG .. a QD just would contaminate that ..

Maybe a wash would have been in order.

Accumulator
08-05-2004, 12:10 PM
What Stevet said about slick products :xyxthumbs

SAZMan
08-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

I usually do a ‘Schnell-alternate’: (Klasse Wash) Wash vehicle, apply "All-in-One" to entire vehicle while it’s still wet using a damp 100% cotton towel, re-wash, rinse, and dry vehicle, before applying SG.

It is more than possible to `seal` dirt by the application of a (synthetic or natural wax) protection over it.

~ Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Maybe I`m being picky, but would a microfiber applicator be as good as a cotton terry?