PDA

View Full Version : Quick DACP question

imported_Lawdog
08-04-2004, 11:19 PM
When using this with a PC, should you use the orange cutting pad or a white polishing pad, or does it depend on the condition of the paint. I have seenthe term "cutting" pad used over and over, yet have not heard this described. What exactly is "cutting`? Just a harsher polishing?

General Lee
08-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Depends on the condition of the paint. Try the white polishing pad first, on a section of the car. It may be all you need. If you need the orange pad, you will most likely need to follow w/ the white pad anyway. "Cutting" is a more harsher way to level the paint or polish it as you said.

lokman
08-05-2004, 12:23 AM
The cutting pad will be more abrasive.

However, I do have a question for fellow Autopians as to how much difference results from using DACP with a cutting versus a polishing pad. Would DACP on a polishing pad be more abrasive than 3M SMR on a cutting pad?

vinnymack
08-05-2004, 12:26 AM
SMR is more of a filler then remover..from "my" experience. DACP on a polishing pad can do wonders if used correctly. Most of the time DACP takes out all of the swirls i do on every car i have used it on.. great product

shaf
08-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Check the PC link in my signature and follow it to Geekysteve`s PC Tutorial over at Roadfly.

Finishing-->Polishing--->CMA Orange--->Cutting--->Wool

You`d be better off using DACP/polishing pad than SMR/cutting pad, that`s all I know.

raymond_ho2002
08-05-2004, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Check the PC link in my signature and follow it to Geekysteve`s PC Tutorial over at Roadfly.

You`d be better off using DACP/polishing pad than SMR/cutting pad, that`s all I know.

I`m sure this is the article you are referring to:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1

In that tutorial, however, Geekysteve seems to be more in favor of smr/cutting versus dacp/polishing.

I`ve never used dacp/polishing, but when I accumulated swirls from QD`ing after driving, smr/cutting was very effective in removing my defects. I did a half-hood comparison where on the other half i stepped down with smr/polishing, and i saw no noticeable difference in gloss and clarity between the two sides on my black car. From my experience, SMR/cutting is a great way of effectively gently removing light swirls while leaving a wax-ready finish in one step.

imported_pugoman
08-05-2004, 06:00 AM
I get great results from using DACP on a polishing pad when paintwork is in good condition (ie. no bad swirls). I work it until it virtually disappears, then immediately wipe off any remaining residue with a mf cloth. I don`t find DACP very aggressive when used with a polishing pad, so don`t expect miracles if you`re trying to remove defects - you`ll need to go to a cutting pad for that. I normally find that I can go to my LSP straight from DACP in most cases - if not, then I give the surface a quick pass with Speed Glaze on a polishing pad.

imported_Lawdog
08-05-2004, 08:22 AM
OK great. One of my Scouts decided to write Wash Me in the dirt on my tailgate last canoe trip:angry Washed it when I got home and of course it scratched the black paint. Not much, but when it`s clean you can tell it. I`ll use the DACP with the white Sonus pad and see how it works.

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
08-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Lawdog

OK great. One of my Scouts decided to write Wash Me in the dirt on my tailgate last canoe trip:angry Washed it when I got home and of course it scratched the black paint. Not much, but when it`s clean you can tell it. I`ll use the DACP with the white Sonus pad and see how it works.

That will teach an Autopian such as yourself to let your car get dirty!! You should`ve pulled out your mobile detailing kit and got your scouts to clean your car once you got up there. :D

04BlackAV
08-05-2004, 10:18 AM
I did a 4 year old Jetta (must be tough clear) that took a cutting pad(maroon Meguiars) and DACP to really make a difference in the marring that had accumulated in that time.It just depends on how hard the clear is and how bad the marring is as to which pad to use.I started with a polishing pad then an orange pad and finally a cutting pad to get the results I wanted.

shaf
08-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

I`m sure this is the article you are referring to:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1

In that tutorial, however, Geekysteve seems to be more in favor of smr/cutting versus dacp/polishing.

I`ve never used dacp/polishing, but when I accumulated swirls from QD`ing after driving, smr/cutting was very effective in removing my defects. I did a half-hood comparison where on the other half i stepped down with smr/polishing, and i saw no noticeable difference in gloss and clarity between the two sides on my black car. From my experience, SMR/cutting is a great way of effectively gently removing light swirls while leaving a wax-ready finish in one step. Ah... didn`t know that. I haven`t read his tutorial in a very long time... I was just going by what I remember from a discussion a while back about using very mild products with very aggressive pads.

Then again, Jngr was sucessfully using AIO/cutting so that just goes to show that if you find something that works, stick with it.