PDA

View Full Version : Test out PC on old cars

RedVolvo
08-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Okay, after some more reasearch I decide d that I`m going to purchase the 7336SP from a local lowes and order the pad accessory kit from properautocare.com.

Being a beginner I thought it would be a good idea to test out the PC on my grandparents` 1986 black lincoln and 1993-95 white Cadilcac and make a few bucks ;-) I would like to go with 83 , 9, 81, 20, 26 on both cars. However I have read that beginners should not try and use compounds with the PC. Is the DACP to abrasive to be used by a beginnner like myself??

If so, then would UP by hand, PP by PC, 81, and 20 be a good combination?

Also considering the Menzerna twins followed by the Klasse twins; is that a good combination for a novice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

sean

Aurora
08-04-2004, 11:23 AM
What the....? You got all these products on hand at your age? that is just insane! Well.. I`ve been able to tackle what I`ve need done up to now with Speed Glaze, MP, PP, and VM. But many here use DACP with the PC. I wouldn`t worry about it being too aggressive, but I would try something milder first. You`ll get the hang of the PC in no time. Just do sloooow passes.

Aurora
08-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Hey you never stated your age:o . Too much sleep for me last night I guess. That`s still quite an assortment of products there.

l33
08-04-2004, 11:29 AM
The PC is an excellent machine because it is a safe machine. It`s difficult to really do any damage using the PC since it doesn`t generate enough heat. A PC is used to spread product out very evenly and to fix MINOR paint imperfections. I wouldn`t be too concerned with damaging your paint with the PC. As for compounding, usually i use a rotarty, but you should be ok with the PC.

Personally i only use menzerna`s products, they may not be as user friendly.

PFDarkside
08-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Try out some #9 on a polishing pad to get used to the action and feel... then go for the #83. I felt exactly the same way you did, but I decided to just go ahead and attack. I used the DACP with a polishing pad, and I think it`s almost impossible to do damage with that combo on a PC. 83, 9, 81, 26 turned out fantastic on my black car, and 81, 26 really gave a deep shine to my brother`s red vehicle.

RedVolvo
08-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks Jrocc12 and L33. I`m 21 and the products listed are just a shopping list; a local Carquest has many of the Meguiar`s products on hand. Again, much thanks!!

shaf
08-05-2004, 12:11 AM
General guideline: If you are not sure how strong a product you need to fix a problem, try the gentlest product that you think might work on a patch first, and assess your results. If that isn`t strong enough, step up to something stronger.

This is important early on when you don`t know how strong your products are, and with the different types of pad. In your case, start off with the polishing pad and something light like swirl remover. This is often too gentle for neglected cars, but try it anyway, like PFDarkside suggested.

Check out the PC thread in my signature. Inside are links to Geekysteve`s PC tutorials over at Roadfly - great reading! Good luck.

RedVolvo
08-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Ahhh, thanks again!

RedVolvo
08-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Quick question...

With #20, is there any benefit in applying it with the grey pad as compared to by hand??

(Searched for it but could not find an answer)

shaf
08-05-2004, 11:54 PM
I don`t use #20, but I`m sure it would work either way. Whatever you`d prefer, as long as you`re able to apply it at the consistency you want.

hirosh
08-06-2004, 02:17 AM
i never used #20 with a PC, but i think it is similar to NXT, and applying NXT with a finishing pad, i`ve found 1) i don`t have to use as much product as i would if i applied by hand; and 2) the PC allows you to put on a nice thin coat.

have fun and post pictures of your results! :)

RedVolvo
08-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Ok. Thanks for all the help!