PDA

View Full Version : Flat or Contour PC Pads? Myths, facts and reality?

Sveta
08-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Which is a better 6" PC pad? Flat or Contour?

Megs and The Edge are flat and some say provide a better contact surface using a PC, even though you have to learn to not splatter the product.

CMA contour (LC in general, I guess), etc., it has been said are really made for rotary use. (BTW, my white pad from Autopia was flat, but the cutting and finish pad are contour.???) The non-splatter design seems to be the stated contour pad advantage.

What is myth...fact...and who has the real world answer to which, if either, is best?

togwt
08-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Foam Pad Types:

A flat pad gives you even pressure throughout. It takes more pressure to stop the spinning of the PC, so your finish comes out more even. You may find they have a little better feel to them than the VC pads. This style pad is best for medium polishing and finishing work; however, the VC pad does a better job at cutting.

A curved edge pads are great for working in tight spaces or a surface with lots of waves and narrow strips-such as the "A" pillar. The polish is applied to the outer edge of the pad and the PC is used at more of an angle. With this method, you are halfway between a flat and VC pad with surface contact.

This pad can also be used flat. In this case, you would apply more polish on the peak between the curve and recess. This technique would be similar to a VC pad.

The variable contact pads provide focused pressure around the edges of the pad. They concentrate the polish within a smaller surface area. Theoretically, one would never really use the centre of a variable contact pad. Because of this focused pressure, this type of pad is ideal for cutting. However, the user must be aware that this increased pressure can cause the PC to stall.

04BlackAV
08-04-2004, 10:34 AM
I have a dislike for the VC pads but others like them.I really don`t like pushing down on the orange pad to get full use of the contact surface.And I end up with a bunch of polish up in the cup that`s not even being used unless I go over a corner.And splatter isn`t an issue to much with my flat pads as I spread it out first at a low speed before cranking it up.

Woob
08-04-2004, 10:45 AM
If your scared of splatter with flat pads, just smear the product in 1 area very well and you won`t have any problems at all. :) just remember to apply it throughout the panel and overlap

Glossequation
08-04-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by 04BlackAV

I have a dislike for the VC pads but others like them.I really don`t like pushing down on the orange pad to get full use of the contact surface.And I end up with a bunch of polish up in the cup that`s not even being used unless I go over a corner.And splatter isn`t an issue to much with my flat pads as I spread it out first at a low speed before cranking it up.

:up :up

BillNorth
08-04-2004, 12:23 PM
I`ve never used curved pads before, but the whole concept makes me wonder how they actually work. How can a pad be effective at polishing when most of it isn`t touching the surface of your vehicle? I like the flat pads because I get full pad contact with the surface. I have no issue with splatter either. I just spread the polish around on the panel first with the machine off.

Not criticizing curved pads. I`ve just shied away from them due to my perception.

Bill.

Bill D
08-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Hmmm..I noticed lots of the vendors push the VC. I think only a handful of those online vendors excluding LC itself sell both. All my LC pads are the VC, no issues so far. I really need as much splatter control as I can get when using the rotary

l33
08-04-2004, 12:56 PM
I like the VC pads aswell. I *think* once you turn on the machine the pad slightly flatten a more surface area touches the paint. I`ve used the orange pad alot, in fact it`s one of my favorites, but i don`t see the need to really push down on it.

Sveta
08-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Are the Edge pads any good? Do they hold up well?

The choice of five grades is interesting and I also would like to know how they compare to Meg`s pad, which many people like.