PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash, How Much?

sgo
08-04-2004, 09:45 AM
I`ve gotten mixed signals on this.

(1) 1 oz per gal water (directions) Also, most statements I`ve read say not to use too much as it`s wasteful and will leave residue, more is not better, etc.

(2) Then I`ve heard use "double-strength" (2 oz per gal)

So my questions is... What is the really best solution to use? Are there different answers for different purposes?

Thanks

ZaneO
08-04-2004, 09:52 AM
It just depends on the soap and on the car. It really doesn`t matter how much you use, as long as there is enough lubrication.

togwt
08-04-2004, 09:58 AM
I’m in agreement with ZaneO, it depends on the car wash concentrate, I’d start out with 1oz per two gallons and then increase / decrease quantity as necessary.

Too much will leave a film that sometimes difficult to remove and will attract dust/dirt, too little will not provide enough lubrication or enable encapsulation of dirt/grit causing scratching.

Take the manufactures directions as a guideline; remember they are in the business to sell product.

~ Hope this helps ~

acl99
08-04-2004, 09:58 AM
I find it depends on the carwash itself, some are very strong, some arent. Im currently using nxt and i find the recomended 1 oz per gal to be very strong and my vehicle is never really "that" dirty. So Ive been using 1.5 oz per 2 gal when i wash and find it plenty lubricating while not being overly strong.

sgo
08-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. However, this doesn`t tell me any more than I already knew -- which is why I asked the question.

How would you measure and verify you were getting the "correct" lubrication? If the "directions" say 1-oz per gal water -- is that the amount I should use?

How would you know if you were leaving a film? You can`t see it. So how would you know to add more or less?

I guess I`m looking for something a whole lot less subjective.

Thanks

SK2003TypeS
08-04-2004, 10:29 AM
This is a good question. I`ve been using a lot of Meg`s Gold Class this year and have always done an eyeball estimate on how much I pour in the bucket. It`s been doing fine.

The other day, I used NXT wash and did my usual eyeball method and it came out a little too thick. I was left with some streaking/spotting and while I was drying the car I saw those "rainbows" of soap. Also, while wiping some areas, the towel grabbed in some areas when it usually glides over the paint. So in this case, I had an unbalanced mix.

So to answer your question, it`s kind of a personal experiment IMO. The manufacturer`s instructions are a good baseline, but everyone`s washing "style" will be different. 2 bucket method, wash and rinse each panel , etc.

The only thing I`ve measured is Zaino Z7 and QEW.

sgo
08-04-2004, 12:39 PM
OK, thanks for all the responses. I guess I`ll just continue doing what I`m doing. Right now I`m using the NXT Wash using 1-oz per approx 1-gal of water. Maybe a little closer to 2-gals as I`m not measuring that so closely. I haven`t had any problems with it. I`m planning on going with the Meg GC Shampoo as that seems to come highly recommended. I guess I`ll just follow the directions on the bottle then.

Thanks again.

ALAN81
08-04-2004, 01:15 PM
I USE 2 OZ FOR 4 GALLONS OF WATER It works for me and the NXT wash is real good

shaf
08-05-2004, 12:18 AM
I`ve always just mindlessly mixed 1oz per gallon as per directions... it`s worked for me so far. :p

Some experimentation is in order. See how well it lubricates and if it cleans as well. Lubrication is most important IMO. The hardness of your local water will also affect this tinkering...

I use a 1oz measuring cup and a marked off bucket, so I`m usually pretty consistent.

mnbv
08-05-2004, 12:37 AM
same here 4dsc, I use a 1/8 a cup for every gallon. (1 cup=8 oz). I get a nice shine and no spoting or streaking when used in the shade.

White95Max
08-07-2004, 10:35 PM
I usually just pour a spot a little larger than a silver dollar in the bottom of a 5qt bucket (ice cream bucket) and that has always worked fine for me.

BTW, I use Meg`s Deep Crystal wash.