PDA

View Full Version : Holding onto applicator

MarcBickham
08-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Does anyone else have problems holding onto applicators when they polish or wax by hand? They tend to stick to the surface and want to roll on me. Am I not using enough product? I`ve tried a little detail spray to lube things up and this still happens. I usually end up holding an edge between my thumb and finger, which not only makes them sore, but applies uneven pressure under the pad because my hand is now contorted. My biggest headache is with the terry cloth ones applying polish. Once upon a time, I had one that had a "pocket" on the back that you could slip your hand into - that was great. But, I can`t seem to find that type anywhere.

As for foam, those newer ones with the built-in handle are super!! I`ll most likely not use a round yellow one again to apply product.

Any suggestions?

Glossequation
08-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by buckslayer

As for foam, those newer ones with the built-in handle are super!! I`ll most likely not use a round yellow one again to apply product.

Any suggestions?

Yes, these applicators are awesome, I use the blue Viking ones from Autozone. They save my hands from cramping up when applying wax. Since I have a PC, I only use them for wax.

SK2003TypeS
08-04-2004, 10:37 AM
You talking about these ? I haven`t picked up any yet, but they look more comfortable.

http://autopia-carcare.com/vk-101.html

I also get the yellow pad roll once in a while. I find the QD spray helps. Depends what I`m using.

Pats300zx
08-04-2004, 10:41 AM
I agree the Viking apps from Autozone are great. For $1.99 they are definitely worth the money.

MarcBickham
08-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Yep - that`s what I`m talking about as far as a foam applicator.

However, I like to use a terry cloth one to get more cutting action when using polish. I can`t find that foam type (with handle) with a terry cloth applicator. The type of terry cloth I had (and referred to) had a "pocket" of material on the entire back that you could slide all 4 fingers into and get nice even pressure over the face of the pad. The pads were just flat, with this "pocket" on the back.

imported_00GREENMACHINE
08-04-2004, 12:29 PM
i lost mine!!! going to have to stock back up with 1 or 2. They are great.

SK2003TypeS
08-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Ahhh, you`re talking about this ......right ?

http://www.autogeek.net/sm508.html

MarcBickham
08-04-2004, 01:10 PM
THAT`S IT!!! Great find there, SK2003TypeS !!!! Thanks.

ALAN81
08-04-2004, 01:29 PM
I buy thick foam and cut my own. You might think im crazy but I get to work with BIG thick round foam applicatiors that are very soft.A few times I was given terry applicators and I cut off the terrycloth and made a big round applicator out of the foam.Terry applicators or MF applicators when working with a liquid product (IMHO)soak up too much product where working with striaght foam you just squeeze the applicator and it comes out

Slackmeister
08-04-2004, 04:07 PM
IIRC, I have seen a large terry applicator with a pocket at Wal-Mart.

MarkM
08-04-2004, 08:25 PM
If you are in a pinch and don`t have the pocket applicators, try wearing a medical type latex glove that will grip the applicator evenly. It will also keep any odors, solvents, etc, from penetrating your skin. You can also half-pinch the top portion if it`s the cotton form applicator for a better locking grip too.

MarcBickham
08-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Big Leegr
08-05-2004, 06:53 AM
If your cloth applicator is terry wrapped around foam, why not just cut a slit on one side and slide your fingers in there?

3Wheeler
08-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Carcareonline also carries terry-covered foam pads with pockets, sixth item down on this page: carecareonline applicator (http://www.carcareonline.com/search_results.asp?PAGE=1&txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamCat=5&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtDateAddedStart=&txtDateAddedEnd=&txtPriceStart=&txtPriceEnd=&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1&btnSearch.x=57&btnSearch.y=10)

Jesstzn
08-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Sometime ago I made my own MF applicators and they have worked out well.

The green side of the sponge adds firmness to the applicator and it doesn`t absorbe product.

A bigger sponge like this inside a terry one should work . These are 2" x 3" and I use them for sealants.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3076/12805dsc00641-med.jpg