PDA

View Full Version : help! removing swirls by hand

jmakado
08-04-2004, 12:23 AM
heres the car: 97 white mitsu eclipse gsx

and the problem: i have swirl marks all over the car and am having trouble removing them by hand. to say i`m a newbie is an understatement so please be patient with me.

heres what i did: washed and dried with meguiars GC and synthetic chamois. clay barred entire car with mothers "kit". applied meguiars #9 by hand. finished with meguiars GC paste wax.

the car is butter smooth and shines well (for white), but the swirl marks are still there (although less so).

my question is this: what am i doing wrong? how long and hard do i need to work the #9? is their a better product for me to be using? i also tried scratch X with similar results. all the swirl marks are shallow and can`t be felt (only seen if the light is right).

i searched but couldn`t find what i was looking for.

thanks!!

LouisanaJeeper
08-04-2004, 12:28 AM
sounds fine, but very few people have the muscle or skill to remove swirls by hand.

I would apply with a cotton towel, probably about 15 minutes per 2`x2` area. You might want to try 3M fine Cut Rubbing Comound, it is more agressive.

You will probably be better off doing NXTx2 topped with the GC over the existing finish. This will hide the swirls well.

mnbv
08-04-2004, 12:35 AM
try using something with more fillers, like VM. I would think the best you can do is hide the swirls if you cannot remove them.

ps: I see you have a dsm, what does it run?

jmakado
08-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by mnbv

ps: I see you have a dsm, what does it run?

i just put down 320 AWHP and 304lb/ft on an AW dyno a few weeks ago but the clutch went shortly after. put the new clutch in a couple days ago but havn`t been to the track yet.

now, i really want to get the swirls out rather than just fill them. is this crazy? i was worried about pushing to hard when i was applying the #9. how hard should i push? also, do i need to let it dry before i remove it? should i use a circular motion, or just back and forth? thanks for all the help for a newb.

LouisanaJeeper
08-04-2004, 12:48 AM
the polish should be almost gone by the time it is worked in.

jmakado
08-04-2004, 12:52 AM
WOW:eek: that`s a lot of time by hand! i think a PC may be in my future. i may try again in a couple weeks by hand though....just to see if i can do it. thanks again!

slvrshadow94tt
08-04-2004, 01:26 AM
I hope you have extra time and energy on your hands!:D

Here`s what works for me.....

Go to the local parts/supply store (Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.) and buy as many of those cheap, round terry applicators and round foam applicators as you can. I usually throw them away after one use.

First, attack those swirls with 3M`s Perfect-It II (fine cut rubbing compound) using the terry applicators. Just follow the directions on the back of the 3M bottle. Do not use an excessive amount of product. Buff off residue with a clean 100% terry cloth towel. Inspect your work frequently and adjust the amount of pressure you use on the applicator to achieve the results your looking for. I like to switch to a clean terry applicator frequently as well. This process should remove most if not all moderate swirls you have. If it doesn`t, you`re not following directions OR you have some SERIOUS swirls/scratches that are best left to a machine to remove.

I like to do a delicate wash and gentle drying after this process because the clean surface helps me evaluate the work I`ve done and the work I may still need to do.

Next, I would follow up with Meg`s #9 Swirl Remover using the foam applicators. This should take care of any minor swirls and dullness that the 3M might have left behind. Lightly buff off residue with a clean terry towel and change applicators frequently.

I`ve never had to go beyond these steps on "light colored" vehicles when working by hand to achieve excellent results.

Good Luck!:xyxthumbs

shaf
08-04-2004, 11:48 PM
slvrshadow94tt gives excellent advice. :up

Try a stronger product like 3M Fine Cut, Megs DACP, or one of the 1Z polishes. They should all work better. Don`t be so surprised that #9 did not give you results. By hand, and even by PC it is a very gentle product made for the final polish. I learned this mistake too a couple years back trying to de-swirl my car by hand with a "swirl remover".

As said, do not apply excessive pressure. "Firm" will do, and don`t "polish until it is all gone". You don`t want to reach this point, and with all the friction you can create by hand you may reach this point sooner than you expected anyway. You want to stop just before or as it starts drying out and you`re picking more up than spreading it around.

Folded (quality!) terry towels will work too.

It`s hard work, but not impossible. Use linear motions if possible. Back to front on the tops, and up and down for the sides. Stop to inspect your progress before you do the whole car!

Good luck!

mnbv
08-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Would you suggest using DACP and SFP, or would the 1z or SSR combos work better? I think I may give hand polishing a shot before I get a $170+ PC with pads.

here is a pic of my swirls.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/17286swirls_on_trunk.jpg