PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable counterweight to the UK

Samoth
08-03-2004, 09:39 AM
After experimenting with using my existing Metabo Random Orbit Sander with some LC pads, and deciding that while it worked, it wasn`t the nicest thing in the world to use for the job, I ordered a Porter Cable from autopia-carcare.

It came with the polishing pad and 5" counterweight fitted. I`ve removed the polishing pad and replaced it with the 5" Sonus flexible plate and use it with the Sonus pads and my existing LC pads.

I`ve noticed that particularly with the somewhat larger Sonus pads it seems to vibrate rather `vigorously` when I crank it up to 6. This lead me to wonder if it would be happier with a 6" counterweight, and indeed some reading of old threads here suggests that many people do prefer running it with the 6" counterweight.

However, I`ve tracked down a number of US retailers that sell the counterweight on its own - the problem is that the counterweight is something like $2, but the shipping to the UK is something like $30! Which obviously isn`t worth it. If I was getting the counterweight from a detailing supplies place I could just wait until I had enough other stuff to order to make the overall shipping worthwhile, but the main places I`ve found that will do just the counterweight to the UK are tool shops, and I`m not likely to want to order anything else from them.

So my questions are :

a) should I just stick with the 5" counterweight I have and have done with it

b) anyone got any bright ideas how to get something as cheap as the 6" counterweight shipped to the UK? Don`t suppose anyone would be willing for me to have it shipped to them in the US and the post it on to me in the UK? (at my expense obviously).

Thanks,

Sam.

Aletank
08-03-2004, 09:46 AM
These company`s seem to calculate the shipping using UPS, a basic standard charge then so much for each kilo.

Why not e-mail one of the company`s explain your situation and ask if they will send the Counter Weight in a Jiffy Bag using standard mail, should be about $5.

Worth ago

Let Us Know How Ya Get On :xyxthumbs

Lowejackson
08-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Try http://www.porter-cable.uk.com/index.asp they might be able to get you one

Jesstzn
08-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Why not send an e-mail to Nick at Detailers Paradise .. he is very accomodating .. Explain your predicament and I bet he will mail you one .. tell him we here at Autopia suggested him .. His are $3.95 for the 6". Even post the link to this thread in your e-mail.

Have a look at his site you will find them under All Brands / Porter Cable.

Detailers Paradise (http://www.detailersparadise.com/Home.asp)