PDA

View Full Version : Fading paint: Need a diagnosis

Shoobie
08-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Hey guys, I`m new around here. This seems like a great place. I could (and probably will) spend many hours a day reading up on car care. I`m only 16, so I`m not going to be anywhere as hardcore as some of the people I`ve seen around. I do, however, want to make my black (ugh) 95` Acura Integra look nice. It`s no BMW, but it gets me around.

Here`s my dillemma. On the roof of the car, the paint has turned a grey color in one big spot. Another section seems to be heading in the same direction. I`m unfamiliar with all this fancy lingo, so I`m not sure what this is called. Is it just fading? Is it oxodized? What does oxodized paint look like? I tried to use the search, but I`m a little brain-dead from all the info I`ve tried to absorb.

Thanks for reading.

jaybs02
08-03-2004, 04:20 AM
Pictures would help....

"J"

SpoiledMan
08-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Sounds like the clear coat is failing. You will need to repaint if this is so.

Shoobie
08-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Agh, that`s not good. I`d post a pic if I had a camera.

dternst
08-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Shoobie

Hey guys, I`m new around here. This seems like a great place. I could (and probably will) spend many hours a day reading up on car care. I`m only 16, so I`m not going to be anywhere as hardcore as some of the people I`ve seen around. I do, however, want to make my black (ugh) 95` Acura Integra look nice. It`s no BMW, but it gets me around.

Here`s my dillemma. On the roof of the car, the paint has turned a grey color in one big spot. Another section seems to be heading in the same direction. I`m unfamiliar with all this fancy lingo, so I`m not sure what this is called. Is it just fading? Is it oxodized? What does oxodized paint look like? I tried to use the search, but I`m a little brain-dead from all the info I`ve tried to absorb.

Thanks for reading.

From your description, I believe the clearcote is begining to or has failed. The only resolution is repaint, no other alternative.

:showpics

Draug
08-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Those are some insane emoticons you have going there dternst. :)

Shoobie
08-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Sorry, if I was able to show you some pics, I would. Looks like it`s time to start saving.

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
08-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Shoobie

Sorry, if I was able to show you some pics, I would. Looks like it`s time to start saving.

Does someone you know have a digital camera? If so, ask them to take a couple of pics for you.