PDA

View Full Version : How strong is 3M PI3? SMR seems stronger...

JAGOWNER1981
08-02-2004, 02:34 PM
I used 3M Pi3 via rotary and a yellow meguiars polishing pad at 1000 rpm yesterday. It barely did anything to the paint, just shined it up a little. I then used AIO via PC using a yellow lake country cutting pad, it eliminated almost all the swirls on the paint, cut much more than the Pi3 via rotary did.... Is Pi3 an effective product at eliminating swirls? Should i step up to the red meguiars pad via rotary? Or should i just step to DACP or 3M Fi2 via rotary with megs yellow polishing pad... TIA.

Glossequation
08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Are you talking about the Machine Glaze? If so, I found it to work very well with a cutting pad and PC. Knocked out about 80% of my swirls on my black Denali. I am considering bumping up to the fine cut RC because MG did take some time to be effective.

stevet
08-02-2004, 06:26 PM
AIO and a PC cut more than Perfect it III Machine Glaze and a rotary? Something isn`t right with this. Machine Glaze is much more abrasive than AIO. The fact that you used a rotary makes it even more so. Are you sure it is Perfect it III Machine Glaze?

Accumulator
08-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by stevet

AIO and a PC cut more than Perfect it III Machine Glaze and a rotary? Something isn`t right with this. Machine Glaze is much more abrasive than AIO. The fact that you used a rotary makes it even more so. Are you sure it is Perfect it III Machine Glaze?

Yeah, that`s what I`m thinking....I`ve used the PI-III MG (05937) with a rotary to remove marring from Audi clear, and I`ve *never* been able to remove any marring from something like that using AIO, let alone with a PC.

The 05937/polishing pad/1K rpms is a pretty mild rotary application, but it`s still *way* more aggressive than AIO by PC. Yeah, you can use a more aggressive approach, but I`d probabably go with a more aggressive product rather than using the 05937 with a cutting pad.