PDA

View Full Version : ProWax Bug Guard

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Aurora40
08-02-2004, 11:58 AM
I know a few people have used this stuff. What I want to know is, what`s the best way to spray it on? Thick? Thin? Do I need a high-volume sprayer, or one with a very fine mist?

Also Bill D, where`s your promised review of this stuff?

I just ordered the gallon so I`ll be trying it out hopefully by the weekend. :)

Bill D
08-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Well,

The stuff is on the front end and mirrors of the Audi, and so far I don`t know, I haven`t hit any bugs around here :nixweiss. Nothing on my windshield, so maybe they`re not out currently. Humid and uncomfortable weather now should put an end to that I imagine.

I`ll probably do another long drive this coming weekend and certainly will report.

I do encourage anyone to apply this stuff with a foam applicator, don`t spray it directly on the surface, it will be waste of the product ( you can always do 2 even coats if you want) and it will look a lot more uneven and hazy.

Totally dried one can still see some of the product, looks like slight smearing but you really have to stare to see it. I`m really going to take my time applying it the next time around.

imported_Aurora40
08-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks Bill. The stuff said not to put it on headlights, and I was kind of wondering how to avoid that while spraying on the paint around them. Using an applicator makes more sense.

Is this stuff sticky or anything when you apply it? Or does it go on easily? I guess I`m picturing something like Engine Kote consistency, which is hard to apply with an applicator since it`s really sticky.

Bill D
08-02-2004, 04:27 PM
I guess I can describe it as more "gooey" but it does go on easy and dry fairly quickly especially if used sparingly. I thinks it`s most noticeable on a black car

imported_Intel486
08-02-2004, 07:35 PM
I got a gallon and 1/2 of this stuff but haven`t tested it out too well.

Once I start up again with my regular trips between NO and BR, then I`ll see about testing some of this stuff out. Need to find someone going on a nice road trip.

Turbonator
08-03-2004, 03:30 PM
that stuff works pretty well, but i never liked spraying it on. i would mist it on the areas i wanted it on and then take a rag and spread it around evenly. it is indeed kinda gooey and that`s why i`d spread around evenly so i would be sure everything was covered. i didn`t find it useful for client`s cars so i gave a gallon of it away to one of my workers. now i use TOL`s bug juice to help remove the bugs - works great.

Bill D
08-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Next time Im going to apply it to the foam pad first then cautiously spread it.

imported_Aurora40
08-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Hey Sonnydaze, I was wondering if you`d chime in. :) I know you used to use this stuff. Was it more because it`s a short-term product and you don`t see your customers after a couple of drives/before a rain that made it not so useful? Or was it that it didn`t work so well? I have high hopes for it! :)

Turbonator
08-04-2004, 09:28 PM
the answer is(drum roll please) - A: it`s a short term product and don`t see the customer often enough for it to be really effective.

Setec Astronomy
08-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Are you guys nuts? Is this stuff safe to leave sitting on your paint?

shaf
08-05-2004, 01:18 AM
Interested too. I don`t do much bug-splattering driving, but know people who do.

What`s the deal with this stuff anyway? Does it contain any solvents or alcohol?

PDF info sheet: http://www.prowax.com/1prod_bulls/S-10pb03_16_04.pdf

I`m guessing it doesn`t have any solvents, but I don`t know about alcohol from reading this.

Other interesting things:

- not for use on headlights or windshields

- rinse coating off after being on vehicle for 30 days.

Bill D
08-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Could run into DOT issues since not approved by them for lights and windhshield, kinda like AIO, Probably too smeary and not clear enough for thosec surfaces any way. He he, gives me another excuse to keep on adding SG when I rinse it off if it contains alcohol.

TortoiseAWD
08-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Are you guys nuts? Is this stuff safe to leave sitting on your paint? Um, "NO" and "YES", respectively.

Tort

imported_Intel486
08-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Interested too. I don`t do much bug-splattering driving, but know people who do.

What`s the deal with this stuff anyway? Does it contain any solvents or alcohol?

I`m guessing it doesn`t have any solvents, but I don`t know about alcohol from reading this.

MSDS doesn`t list any solvents.

From what I remember I don`t think I can smell alcohol at all.

Bill D
08-06-2004, 08:54 AM
When I strip mine off I`ll spray the surface with water to check for beading? Is that an accurate indication if the sealant is still there?