PDA

View Full Version : Rotary on a tractor?

tguil
08-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Don`t laugh, OK? :D

I just bought a Makita 9227. I have all the "right" 6.5 pads and all sorts on Meguiar`s and 3M polishes and compounds. I need to practice on something other than my black Hemi or my wife`s silver Tacoma. I`d rather not head to the junkyard or body shop for a damaged hood or fender to practice on.

Remember, no laughing. How about using my John Deere tractor to practice on? Heck, I aleady wax it. Why not really detail it? It is only five years old and has lots of flat surfaces. Just right for a rotary.

Of course it is a single stage paint, but it is plenty thick. I`m pretty sure that it would permanently mess up at least one pad. But then I`d have a green pad, right?

I`ve thought about starting slow and easy. A polishing pad and #82 with the buffer at about 1000 rpm`s.

I`ve watched the Meguiar`s tape several times and I`m darned good with a pc. I`ve read about guys practicing on washers and driers so maybe this idea is not all that bad.

Tom :cool:

BradE
08-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Well, single stage won`t really polish the same way as a clearcoated vehicle, but it will give you a chance to get used to operating the machine and work on some basic techniques.

I`d say go for it, can`t hurt anything.

Bill D
08-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Yep, go for it, but I still encourage getting fenders, the fenders will have defects typical of average vehicles and you`ll be seeing first hand how well you will be doing removing them.