PDA

View Full Version : GM side mirrors

Big Leegr
08-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Most of the cars I`ve done have textured plastic or chrome mirrors housing. Recently I`ve done 2 GM`s with a smooth black finish. (`97 Lumina and `03 Sunfire)

Now, I can see why the Lumina would have oxidation on the mirrors, as it wasn`t waxed for a few years, but the `03 was as badly oxidized. I recently did a touch up wax on the `03, about 6 weeks after the first polishing, and the mirrors were oxidized again!

Anybody else notice this phenomenon, or did the Sunfire owner get a sub-standard quality set of mirrors?:nixweiss

BradE
08-01-2004, 11:53 AM
It`s a pretty well known issue. AutoInt has a short write up about it. http://www.autoint.com/tips/faded_mirrors_cowls.html

Setec Astronomy
08-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Yes, I have noticed this on my 2 GM cars. One has metal mirror housings that are painted black, the other has plastic mirror housings that are painted body color. Perhaps the plastic housings suffer the same problem as the vinyl pieces around the bumpers (different paint) and maybe the metal housings aren`t clearcoated.

Setec Astronomy
08-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by BradE

It`s a pretty well known issue. AutoInt has a short write up about it. http://www.autoint.com/tips/faded_mirrors_cowls.html

Well, that was a pretty interesting link, but both my cars have painted mirrors, they are old (`88 and `90), but they also faded. When the `90 (body color plastic housing) was less than 2 years old, I had to replace one of the mirrors. I took it to a body shop to be painted, and that one lasted much longer than the factory before it faded.

BradE
08-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Wax isn`t gonna cut it on the smooth black GM mirrors. The black surface heats up quickly and that wax isn`t going to last more than a few days. Using a polymer product on those is almost required to fight the oxidation.

As for the painted mirrors, the process of polishing them is pretty much the same. Polish as needed, and use a polymer product to protect. Keep the speeds low when using a rotary on plastic housings, because it can retain heat and damage quickly.

Big Leegr
08-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the reply and clarification Brad!

My confidence is restored!

imported_Dave Holmes
08-04-2004, 02:40 AM
I agree with Brad. The smooth black plastic on my mirrors (Nissan) used to oxidize quickly. I now use either NXT or Meg`s #20 on them, and it really keeps them shiny a lot longer (4 weeks minimum). I`d guess other polymers would have the same effect. Carnauba products seem to literally last only a few days, as they actually evaporate away. But I also live in Louisiana, which is just a tad cooler than a 350 degree oven!

Dave

PATHFNDR
08-06-2004, 04:31 PM
I have used Plexus with great success and it lasts for months.