PDA

View Full Version : Which car to choose to buy?

joecansee
08-01-2004, 08:24 AM
I have to choose between 2 cars within the hour, could you guys help me out?

97 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS Maroon, 61K Miles sunroof, cd player, alloys, etc. $5K

99 Mitsubishi Galant ES Mint Green, 72K, sunroof, leather, 10 Cd changer, $5.7K

and my third choice which isn`t really a choice anymore since it was a little out of price range and sold this morning was a 99 Mercury Cougar...

What is the best choice and would the Cougar of been the best choice?

The guy who had the galants works with them and said don`t buy American (no cougar) and eclipses looks nice but are nothing but trouble.

My dad also really likes the Galant and said in a few months he may take it from me and go to an auto dealer auction (bank seized stuff) and get a cheaper car (guy is out of country for a few months now though)

BoxsterCharlie
08-01-2004, 12:21 PM
I`ve had very bad luck with Mercury, as well as everyone else I know too. Everything from paint to brakes to transmission to interior parts. I think there is a reason Mercury no longer exists.

I`d always go with the newer car as a general rule...11K miles more is no big deal.

LouisanaJeeper
08-01-2004, 06:53 PM
i would go with the eclipse

galants have more problems than eclipses

rathi60
08-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Check the reliability rating from the MSN Auto web site if your concerned, Both are two different cars in handelling. My pick will be the Eclipse.

Xtreme-Klean
08-01-2004, 07:41 PM
I go with the Eclipse. Better milage, sporty, and more reliable. Make sure the paint is in good enough condition to fix if you need to.

medic
08-02-2004, 01:17 PM
really, eclipses are better then galants? man, how bad are galants...the few peple I know with earleier eclipses always complian about how unreliable their cars are. most have sold them or traded them in for other cars

andriver
08-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Mitsubishi has been getting bad press lately on overall problems with their cars. If this is car that you plan on keeping a year or two go ahead and buy it. If you plan on keeping it a while, I would keep looking.

Mr. Clean
08-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by andriver

If you plan on keeping it a while, I would keep looking.

I agree. Look around you in traffic and count the Mitsubishis that are smoking vs. those that are not.