PDA

View Full Version : I need the proper step of cleaning polishing pad

! apmljv
08-01-2004, 12:41 AM
It seems that the way I clean my pads are wrong, that`s why when I polish the car I get more scratches than before.

1. A bucket of water with dawn

2. Soak my pads in there for a while

3. Wash them to get it clean

4. let it dry in my living room.

How do you guys go about drying the pads? I think it`s the way I let it dry that cause dirt in the pad.

thanks

vinnymack
08-01-2004, 12:50 AM
i do it just about the same as you..you could blow dry the pads after too..just not to close

david328ci
08-01-2004, 01:21 AM
I usually put the pads back on the PC and turn it to speed 6 to spin all the water out.

Xtreme-Klean
08-01-2004, 01:22 AM
For drying the pad just attach it to the PC or buffer machine you use and spin dry. Works great and no time to pick up dirt. Put it in a bag if you are concerned about dirt.

! apmljv
08-01-2004, 02:02 AM
I thought if you let the PC spin w/o being on a surface may be hard on the PC?

zesty-man
08-01-2004, 02:13 AM
heres what i do. baiscally after rinsing all the water out of the pad......

1. place microfiber towel flat on talbe

2. press pad agaist the microfiber towel, using your body weight

3. when you feel youve gotten all the water out that you possibly can, go ahead and attach the pad to the pc, and start at the LOWEST speed. you would be suprised how much water is still left

4. leave the pads out to dry overnight, if you feel you have to.

bunmango
08-01-2004, 02:26 AM
I make sure never to let any product dry on the pad... after each use, I spray each pad down with a strong stream of water from either a hose or the sidespray nozzle of the kitchen sink to rinse out really well. After that, squeeze out as much as I can by hand, and then I take it for a spin on my rotary (using the PC works, but I found that using the rotary slings out more water) I do this with my DACP and SFP pads and it works pretty well. Finishing pads are another story since the product repels water so well...

I used to agitate my pads by folding them in half and rubbing the pad against itself, but I found that it wears out the velcro way too quickly.

thinksnow
08-01-2004, 07:40 AM
This suggestion will solicit the gigantic :nono from most everyone, but I`ve always washed my pads in a gentle wash with Tide Free and an oxy booster. The spin dry cycle does a decent job, and they sit on the windowsill to dry in the sun--only my LC polishing pads take longer to dry.

The machine washing advice does not apply to Meg`s pads...:( The sad face is for memories of pads lost.

NavindraLR
08-01-2004, 08:57 AM
lol... not to go off topic, but does anyone know where i could buy meguiars polishing pads besides online? ive tried every store locally (autozone, pepboys, etc...) and i cant find them...

andriver
08-01-2004, 09:55 AM
Order them through a local auto paint supplier.

thinksnow
08-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Call a respected body shop and ask them who their local supplier is. Many supply shops are the unlabeled places that you never think about. Call paint and supply shops, too (hit or miss--none here at the Beach, but I know of two places in Richmond...).

Originally posted by NavindraLR

lol... not to go off topic, but does anyone know where i could buy meguiars polishing pads besides online? ive tried every store locally (autozone, pepboys, etc...) and i cant find them...

acl99
08-01-2004, 09:59 AM
hmmm i stoped washing my pads awhile ago once i got my rotary. Ive found even with my pc just turning it up and using a nylon brush on the face does a good job at removing product. However i also have dedicated pads for each of my polishes, so im not to worryed about cross contaminating my pads. Ive found that scraping the pad to clean it is alot more gentle on the pad and it holds up alot longer :D

flyinhigh
08-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,

I just blew up a pad yesterday using the spin on PC method.It was a stock white pad that came with it ,so be carefull!!

Go to the counter at AutoZone and order some,they may not have them on the shelves but should be able to get them for you.If they say they can not ,then they are lying and being Lay-Z.

stilez
08-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Try spraying them with Simple Green first, then soaking them for 30 mins. Finally agitating them when rinsing out and I spin dry them on the rotary.

flyinhigh
08-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Acuracl98

hmmm i stoped washing my pads awhile ago once i got my rotary. Ive found even with my pc just turning it up and using a nylon brush on the face does a good job at removing product. However i also have dedicated pads for each of my polishes, so im not to worryed about cross contaminating my pads. Ive found that scraping the pad to clean it is alot more gentle on the pad and it holds up alot longer :D

Were not worried about cross contamination either just dirty ,loaded up pads. :xyxthumbs

and if you read your Ebook it shows you how to clean and maintain your pads for a long service life..and also how to use your nifty new little PC.:D

Have a nice night :wavey