PDA

View Full Version : Hey, look! Another PC thread! (long...ish)

Pages : [1] 2

MongooseGA
07-31-2004, 11:57 PM
i have done many searches, and learned much already. but, the amount of info i found was so overwhelming i needed a way to break it all down. of course, if you happen to know a thread off of the top of your head that answers all of these quesitons, please point me towards it so noone has to go over old info again. :up

im looking to buy a PC in the next few weeks. hopefully from lowes because i hate waiting on things after i order them from the internet.

i know that the 7335, 7336, 7336sp, and 7424 are all the same body, motor, and inner-workings. the main differences are the counter weights, and the 7336SP comes with a polishing pad. am i right so far?

the 7335 and 7424 come with 5" counter weights while the 7336`s have 6 inchers, right? what are the counter weights used for, and do the different sizes make a difference at all?!?

i notice that when i read about different accessories for the PC (pads, brushes, etc...) they specify that product-"x" fits on the PC 7424. i haven`t seen the 7336 mentioned often. why is this? is it just easier to recognize the 7424 than the 7336?

im looking to buy the accessories in a kit (i dont mind ordering these off of the internet.). i would like to spend under $100 for the accessories, to include pads, bonnets, brushes etc. any suggestions on good quality kits/packages to start out with? the idea is that i will buy the machine itself and my dad will buy the accessories, as long as i do his truck. (a rather neglected `99 ford f-350 crew cab long bed... who thought the H2 was a bohemoth?)

please point me in the right direction. after i finish the truck we have a `46 plymouth in need of attention that i wanna get a shot at.

thanks in advance!!!

Glenn Jr.

:wavey :)

Xtreme-Klean
08-01-2004, 12:14 AM
I suggest you get the Sonus Kit. It comes with everything and is a high quality kit for only 55 bucks. Its on Autopia shop site.

MongooseGA
08-01-2004, 12:15 AM
thanks for the quick response! ill look into it.

this one?

http://autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-kit.html

what else outside of this kit might i need/ would be nice to have? interior brushes? things like that?

mnbv
08-01-2004, 12:20 AM
I am going to get a PC 7424 soon, I will probably just keep things simple and get a good kit for everything I need.

MongooseGA
08-01-2004, 12:22 AM
why would one choose a 7424 over a 7336, or visa versa(Sp?)?

mnbv
08-01-2004, 12:37 AM
I don`t know actually. Seems like 7424 is used more here. I really don`t know the differences.

MongooseGA
08-01-2004, 01:22 AM
i noticedin the write-up for the Sonus pad kit, the pads are warranteed for up to 10 uses. can they be used more than that or will i need to buy new pads every so often?

MongooseGA
08-01-2004, 11:31 AM
bump...:wavey:

tkr128
08-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Sounds like you got everything right.

The counterweights are used to balance out the weight of the backing plate (someone correct me if I`m wrong). The 7336 has a 6" counterweight to be used with 6" backing plates. The 7335 and 7424 have the 5" counterweight and should be used for 5" backing plates. You can "mix and match" but you`ll get more vibration from the PC. This`ll give you some more information: click here (http://coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/skinny.htm?L+coastest+vhhr0785ff915591+1091388170)

Back when I got my PC (7336SP), people were recommending this kit (http://properautocare.com/porcabackit.html). I have moved on to the 7.5" pads with the 6" backing plate because of its added safety. The Sonüs kit looks really nice, it has everything you need. But I don`t know if you`ll need the 5-inch counterweight. The 7336SP from Lowes (I`m guessing this is the one you`re thinking about getting) has the 6-inch counterweight and the kit has a 5" backing plate.

Hope this was helpful.

flyinhigh
08-01-2004, 03:15 PM
I too was wondering about the counterweight/pad combonation of the 7336.I would think it would be for the whole pad.As the 7336 has a 5 inch backing plate on it and the pad is just a touch below 6" .The Sonus pads are I believe 6.5" .

Any how Im going to try the stock 7336 CW first .Ive used it enough to tell if the vibes are worsened .

This info is from the Polishing pad and not from the sanding pad which is actually 6".If that makes a difference.?

MongooseGA
08-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by tkr128

Sounds like you got everything right.

The counterweights are used to balance out the weight of the backing plate (someone correct me if I`m wrong). The 7336 has a 6" counterweight to be used with 6" backing plates. The 7335 and 7424 have the 5" counterweight and should be used for 5" backing plates. You can "mix and match" but you`ll get more vibration from the PC. This`ll give you some more information: click here (http://coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/skinny.htm?L+coastest+vhhr0785ff915591+1091388170)

Back when I got my PC (7336SP), people were recommending this kit (http://properautocare.com/porcabackit.html). I have moved on to the 7.5" pads with the 6" backing plate because of its added safety. The Sonüs kit looks really nice, it has everything you need. But I don`t know if you`ll need the 5-inch counterweight. The 7336SP from Lowes (I`m guessing this is the one you`re thinking about getting) has the 6-inch counterweight and the kit has a 5" backing plate.

Hope this was helpful.

thanks, this did help. is that particular pad kit comparable to the Sonus kit? i dont believe the sonus kit came with the terry bonnnets or the wool attatchment; though it did have a few additional pads. i`ll do some comparos. :) thanks.

tkr128
08-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by MongooseGA

thanks, this did help. is that particular pad kit comparable to the Sonus kit? i dont believe the sonus kit came with the terry bonnnets or the wool attatchment; though it did have a few additional pads. i`ll do some comparos. :) thanks.

To be honest, I`ve never used a bonnet, so I really can`t comment on their usage. You really don`t need the wool pad as it`s quite rough and you could potentially damage the paint. The one thing I don`t like about the CMA kit is that the backing plate barely fits over the pads and thus, doesn`t allow the level of safety that the Sonüs kit does. Just remember, this was the kit people were recommending 2 years ago when there weren`t too many kits around. :)

flyinhigh
08-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Sonus kit comes with a bonnett I believe.Its in the link you posted,take another look http://autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-kit.html

shaf
08-01-2004, 08:40 PM
I would highly recommend to everyone to buy a 7336 and not a 7424 because it will vibrate less.

Yes, you CAN use the 5" backing plate with the 6" weight, and in fact I think it is BETTER to do so.

Don`t forget the search function!

Here is just one of many threads over the years: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40917&highlight=counterweight

The 5" counterweight is pretty much useless.

flyinhigh
08-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Hey Thank You Brian!

Puts my mind at ease :xyxthumbs