PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions! LONG POST!

01bluecls
07-30-2004, 12:20 AM
Well first off let me say that I have been on this forum for a few months now and havent really posted much. Mainly just been spending literally hours of reading tips, tricks, reviews, etc. I am now a detailing addict!!! I have a Aegean BLue 01 Acura CL-S i bought used a few months ago. (its kinda of a dark royal blue). I have been also detailing a lot of different types of cars for co-workers so i could have a little extra cash flow, pay for all the stuff i buy and because i enjoy it!! Well I have almost a full arsenal of paintcare products and have had used all of them... Here is my inverntory so far:

1. 1Z Ultra Paint Polish

2. 1Z Paint Polish

3. Menzerna IP

4. Menzerna FPII

5. P21S Paint Cleanser

6. P21S Carnuaba Wax

7. All Zaino (Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, etc.)

8. Meguiars NXT Wax, NO. 7 Show Glaze, QD, MEG`s 3 Step Cleaner, Polish, Wax System.

9. Eagle One Nano Wax

10. Mothers Clay Bar Kit

11. PC7424 with Orange, white and gray 6.5 foam Pads.

I just ordered the following (should be in Tues): Klasse AIO, Poorboys SSR2.5, and a 6.5 Yellow Pad.

I spent about 7 hours on my Acura about 3 weeks ago and did the following to it: Washed, (no clay bar since i did it 3 weeks prior) applied Menzerna IP, Menzerna FPII, 2 coats of Z5, one coat of Z2. I LOVED the results it brought me. The only thing is that the IP removed about 85% of some swirls in the paint. But being a detail freak i want closer to 95-99%!! ;) All the other products that I listed above i have used on other vehicles with various conditions of paint. If you would like my take on those products just post them up! Be glad to share my expierence with you all.

THe main reason I have posted this thread is that I will be doing my car over again this coming Wednesday and hopefully trying those two new products i have ordered (Klasse AIO, Poorboys SSR2.5) (I got the yellow pad for some others cars i detail in rough shape.) Keep in mind my paint condition is pretty good considering the VAST improvement i have made since i bought the car 4 months ago. It is a daily driver that is outside 24/7!!!! I just want what everyone else here wants...THE ELUSIVE PERFECT SHINE!!! Its a nice blue paint and I want a nice deeeep Gloss that look like dark pool of ocean water and durablitiy is a must since this car is not garaged at all.

This is the game plan for the day (Wednesday): (and I want all comments, suggestions, tips, etc possible from you all.)

1. Dawn Wash,

2. Mothers Claybar

3. Dawn Wash

4. Poorboys SSR2.5 w/orange pad OR MenZ IP w/ orange pad

5. Followed with MenZ FP w/ white pad OR P21S Cleanser w/white pad

6. Then Klasse AIO w/ clean white pad OR P21S Cleanser w/ white pad

7. Z6 Spray

8. Zaino Z5 x 2

9. Zaino Z2 x 1

One Week Later I would apply:

10. Z5 Carwash

11. Zaino Z5x1

12. Zaino Z2x2

13. Possibly Topping off with P21S Carnuaba a day later.

Truly Sorry to make you read all the above but like i said, i have spent countless hours searching, reading etc. to come to this game plan and want to know everyone opinion and if i should arrange the steps differently etc. I have pretty much conluded to use these products exclusively from reading numerous reviews on each product from this board. Other product suggestions are welcomed, but prolly wont get to those till Spring since i have all of these already. I will take pics of the end product after everything is done on that Wednesday then more pics after the one week follow up.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

PS. This Board RULES!!!!!!!!!

Scottwax
07-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Wash with regular car wash soap

Clay as needed

Meguiars DACP or Speed Glaze to take car of the swirls

Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze

S100, Carnauba Moose or Pinnacle Souveran (you can use Poorboy`s EX-P first for added durability if you wish).

That`s it.

Properly prepped already, just used Vanilla Moose and S100:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/8782001_acura_tl2.jpg

General Lee
07-30-2004, 01:37 AM
That is one awesome finish!

mnbv
07-30-2004, 03:39 AM
stunning pic. I don`t know if AIO should be used after polishes, but I could be wrong. I am not familier with IP or FP polishes, but using your alternate sounds good along with the rest of your process, much protection from zanio I can see.

317indy
07-30-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/8782001_acura_tl2.jpg

:eek: :bounce :bounce :bounce :bow :bow :bow

Carl Anderson
07-30-2004, 08:06 AM
My best success in removing swirls has been with #83 (DACP). I also use Speed Glaze but find it to be a bit milder. Looks like you`ve aquired a great inventory of products, and if you are like I am you will find a use for all of them.

BillNorth
07-30-2004, 09:12 AM
Scott, as soon as he said aegean blue, I immediately thought of the blue acura you detail/detailed. What a beautiful colour.

Chris,

I wouldn`t dawn wash. Just wash with car wash soap. You shouldn`t need to wash after claying if you dry your lube off of each section as you clay each panel/section. This is what I do and find that it saves time. I would SSR, FP, and AIO, skip the P21s. You don`t need to z6 after AIO, just go straight to Z. Z6 is expensive stuff. Save it for rejuvinating your z layers.

Your one week later plan sounds fine as well. I wouldn`t jump to top with carnuba though. I think you`ll find Z to look great on its own, especially on that particular colour. Besides, once you top with carnuba, you`ll need to strip everything off and start over if you want to add more z.

Bill.

01bluecls
07-30-2004, 10:43 AM
I appreciate everyone comments so far. I have yet to use Klasse AIO or the SSR2.5, so i look forward to using those to see what reults it produces. THe reason i mentioned the Dawn wash is that Sal Zaino recommends it to strip the wax.....I know a there a members on here that dont believe in the dawn process, but at least for me it makes some since to strip the current wax so most of the polish can get directly on the paint. JMO.

Anyway I like your suggestion BillNorth with the SSR2.5, FP, AIO, Z. That might be the route i will go.

As for mnbv, i believe the AIO will give me a great base for the Zaino bonding, correct me if im wrong.

Scott the pic is great and i saw that a while back, i will prolly give the Vanilla Moose, DACP and poorboys ex-p a try around spring time. Ordering enough products as is right now!! haha

You guys have been a great help so far, and looking forward to more comments and suggestion on this topic from other members as well.

Anyone have any expierence with SSR2.5, i wanna know how it compares with Menzerna IP? Also there have been some debate i read but what are the opinions about the which one may be more abrasive, IP or SSR2.5? Thanks in advance.

Chris

3Wheeler
07-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Wash with regular car wash soap

Clay as needed

Meguiars DACP or Speed Glaze to take car of the swirls

Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze

S100, Carnauba Moose or Pinnacle Souveran (you can use Poorboy`s EX-P first for added durability if you wish).

Scottwax....WOW is all I can say....If you`re ever up Vancouver way, you`ve got a place to stay....all I`d ask (ok, beg) is that I could watch as you detailed my car (by hand--I don`t have a machine and aren`t planning on getting one, at this point anyway).

A couple of questions.....

First, you say that you could use EX-P if you wanted added durability. What about using EX (with carnauba)--would that work just as well? I thought it might even work better than EX-P under a carnauba topper, but that`s just intuitive...

Second, your list of toppers doesn`t include Natty`s, and I wondered why.

Thanks Scott. :)

Scottwax
07-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Barry-I am giving my suggestions based on what I personally have used on that color and I haven`t used Natty`s on it up to this point. I used to wash the car every week but he moved about 10 miles south of where he used to be so it just isn`t worth the drive just for a wash, so he has me come out and wax it about every 3-4 months. Since I see the car less often, I don`t really experiment with different products, I just go with what has been working thus far. I do believe that Natty`s would work fine though.

Either EX would be fine as a sealant prior to using a carnauba.

3Wheeler
07-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Scott.

I have my new combo arriving any day for my Titanium Grey Mz3. It`s kind of an odd colour, because sometimes it looks darker than other times. Still, I consider it to be a "dark" colour. It has tons of multi-hued metallics, as well.

Here`s my new combo:

VM

EX x2 or 3

Natty`s once a month

I`m getting pretty excited! :)

BillNorth
07-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Chris,

All the polishes (plus the clay as well) you are using will do an infinitely better job of stripping wax off of your car than dawn ever will. In fact, they will strip all the wax off your car, making dawn a pointless step. Sal recommends dawn because most of his audience are non-autopians who don`t use paint cleaners, etc, they just wash and zaino, hence dawn is needed to remove some (i`m not convinced it will remove all) of the old wax buildup.

Bill.

acl99
07-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Yup save yourself the dawn wash, Between your claying and polishing your old wax is history :D

01bluecls
07-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks Bill, That brought some light to me that completely makes sense! Why cant every car owner be an autopian! haha Jk.... Well it looks like these will be my revised steps.

1. Wash

2. Claybar and wipe

3. Poorboys SSR2.5 w/ orange pad

4. Menzerna FPII w/white pad

5. Klasse AIO w/another white pad

6. Z5 x 2 by hand

7. Z2 x 1 by hand

Then the one week follow up i had in my first post minus the P21S Carnuaba

You all probably just knocked the time i will be spending by a few hours. Very appreciated. Still does anyone have any opinions or expierence with the difference between SSR2.5 and/or Menz IP?