PDA

View Full Version : More Leather Stuff....How `bout Zymol Leather Dressings?

Matt M, PA
07-29-2004, 09:10 PM
I took my Dad back to the upholstery shop to pick up his car and saw that they sell Zymol products. The normal "TW" Zymol and a glass jar that cost $50.

They also had the Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner.

The guy there said that modern leather is not "coated" but that the dye is treated in such a way as to be like a "Scotchguard" type of treatment.

He furthered that better leather products can therefor penetrate the leather and help keep it nourished.

He has me smell the Zymol leather conditioner and I thought it smelled more like sunblock than a car product.

Anyone have any input on this Zymol product?

I`m still on a quest to find the real answers to the coated leather questions...I mean, is it indeed "sealed" or not? I it is sealed, to keep contaminents out, like sweat, dirt, water....how can it let a product in? Or....is it still porous?

jfelbab
07-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Most leather used in newer cars is coated with a polyurethane material according to GST, the company that provides the hides for these cars.

Here is a good link showing the cars you would find GST hides in.

http://www.gstautoleather.com/automotive_leather_showroom.asp

They recommend cleaning with mild soap and water and suggested that this was all that should be needed for a long time. They said that they sell some leather cleaners and conditioners direct to the auto dealers for use on their coated leathers. I have no idea if this is a re-branded product or they make their own.

Sveta
07-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Sorry, I`m not a Zymol product fan and have never used their leather stuff. I once used Meguiar`s products and liked them until I read posts on leather care and discovered there were better alternatives.

Now I use Z-10 and sometimes Lexol. Z-10 smells like leather and Lexol is first rate. There are a few others too but I haven`t used them. I think you would be very happy with either Z-10 or Lexol. Clean your leather with "woolite" and water 1:6 to 1:8.

Other recent posts have dealt with the "treated leather" part of your question and so either search or wait for a real expert to explain.

Matt M, PA
07-30-2004, 08:16 AM
jfelbab....thanks for the link.

Marty....thanks for your insight on Zymol. I too use Z-10 currently.

I have started posts on coated leather more than once, but never seem to get an "expert" to comment.

Option 13
07-30-2004, 10:59 AM
I went to that link.............good info:xyxthumbs

If you click on the resources tab at the top of that page you`ll find this:

Automotive Leather Interior Care

GST AutoLeather automotive leather interiors are designed and crafted to look good and stay that way. But like any natural product, leather requires some care to keep looking its best.

Here are a few tips to follow to make sure your automotive leather interior holds its value for the long-term:

Clean up spills immediately.

Don`t give stains a chance to set on your automotive leather interior.

Use a mild cleaner.

Choose a mild soap and use water to clean your automotive leather interior. Or use a damp rag or sponge to clean the surface and concentrate on small areas at a time. Don`t saturate the leather with water.

Use a leather conditioner.

There are many fine products available that can improve the softness and texture of your automotive leather interior. While we don`t recommend any one in particular, we suggest you drop by your local auto parts store for their advice.

Use a foldout sunscreen.

If you live in a hot climate, your automotive leather interior can age prematurely when exposed to excess heat and light. Tinted windows or a foldout sunscreen can help you protect your automotive leather interior.

Use professional detailing services.

If you`re like us, you spend a lot of time in your car. Periodically visit your local automotive detailer. They carry products designed specifically for your automotive leather interior not available to the general public.

togwt
07-30-2004, 11:45 AM
I am making no claims to be a leather ‘expert’ but this is my take on coated leathers

Identifying Leather Finishes:

Coated leather is made from natural hides, but uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane resin coating to make it more suitable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight. Spills wipe off with a moist cloth, retains the aura of natural leather without its sensitivity to light and abuse. The urethane resin coating requires oils to stop it from drying out (just like a paint system`s clear coat) coated leather and its vinyl can be cleaned with a leather cleaner, but do not clean leather with a cleaner formulated for vinyl. Clean / condition / UV protect as in 1, 2, 3 page 1.

Identifying characteristics- uniform colour and grain patterns; will not scratch easily; water drops will not change colour.

Coated Leather should be routinely cleaned using a pH-balanced, non-alkaline cleaner (6:1 Distilled water / Woolite® solution) to loosen and lift grease and grime without drying the leather or affecting the hide`s natural pH. In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils.

Do not use - silicone or Lanolin-based products as they have trouble reaching the leathers deep fibres, also avoid using leather-conditioning creams on coated leather as they cannot penetrate the coatings and the residue will remain leaving the leather with a greasy surface. Use a product that contains natural penetrating oils that will nourish the fibres underneath the coating and restore the leathers natural suppleness.

Best applied to a warm surface to help the oils penetrate the coating (warm with the suns heat or a hairdryer) allow sufficient time (preferably overnight) for the oils to permeate the coating and the leather underneath.

Recommended products-

a. Vinyl coated leather- use Groit`s Leather Rejuvenator or Leatherique Prestine Clean

b. Urethane Coated Leather- use Groit`s Leather Care or lz einszett® Leather Care "Lederpflege"

Products identified are what I use there may be other alternatives that work equally as well, but these have worked for me.

Zymol is an excellent cleaner for natural leather, but it will not penetrate coated leather. It contains Colloagen and other natural oils to condition leather.

~Hope this helps~

Sveta
07-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

I am making no claims to be a leather ‘expert’ but this is my take on coated leathers...

~Hope this helps~

That was excellent! It helps... but raises new questions about the suitability of Z-10 and Lexol for treated leather. Are these products for untreated leather?