PDA

View Full Version : repairing chips with touch up pen

RonTL
07-29-2004, 12:03 AM
I bought 2 touch up pens, 1 is primer and the other is color. I read davidb scratch and chip repair article for instructions, but used the paint pens instead. On the article it says to apply 2-3 thin coats of primer and 2-3 thin coats of color. When i filled in a chip with the touch up pen and tried to put thin layers, I only ended up puting 1 layer of primer and 1 layer of color and then the chip was slightly overfilled like the article said. So did i do something wrong, or is it just those paint pens. That`s all i have done, i haven`t leveled it off yet.

Will it hurt just putting 1 layer of primer and 1 layer of paint?

I tryed doing that toothpick thing on another chip, i just dipped the tip of the toothpick in the paint, and put the point into the center of the nick, and nothing happens, the paint on the tip just stays there.

RonTL
07-29-2004, 12:06 AM
i was thinking, maybe the paint is too thick and that`s why i could only get i later of pimer and 1 layer of color.

I have a clear coat pen, but after 1 layer of primer and paint, there`s no more space for the a layer of clear.

Can someone please help me with this.

Im going to level the nick i repaired tomorrow and polish it and see if it worked out.

longarm
07-29-2004, 03:10 PM
From what I know about the touch up pen, you need to add a thin layer, let dry, then clay bar. Then repeat process to your satisfaction. The clay bar will remove any dried paint outside the chip.

RonTL
07-29-2004, 04:25 PM
wont the wetsanding get rid of the dry paint?