PDA

View Full Version : Hi ..new guy in town

The Space Pope
07-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Hi ,

just registered with your excellent forum ...some good ideas and good features here. Just right for a detailing fusspot like myself ;)

To start the ball rolling , I had a question regarding the use of a Karcher `CIP` 1.3hp pressure cleaner in washing a car.

We have water restrictions here in Sydney and we`re not allowed to use a hose on our cars...only buckets. A fellow member on the LS1.com.au forums came up with an ingenious method of having a hose running from an elevated bucket rather than a tap to a pressure washer. It`s using a bucket as suggested by the water authority and what`s more, I only have to use 30 or so litres of water to get my car clean. Using buckets takes 150 litres or so.

I ensure the Karcher`s pressure wand isn`t too close to the paintwork and have worked out a sweeping method that seems to get the dirt or soap off pretty fine before washing.

Question is...am I harming the wax I have on my car by using a Karcher pressure cleaner? Anyone else here have tips on the most efficient way to rinse down a car using the Karcher...can be tricky getting all the car wash off on occasion and I want to keep the water usage down (being a drought and all).

Appreciate any advice you can give ...thanks guys :)

weswar
07-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Welcome to the forums Space Pope. As far as your question sorry can`t help you there - I`m still a newb to all this but I believe most detailers cringe at the thought of using a pressure washer.

ZaneO
07-29-2004, 12:17 PM
If I were you, I would look into QEW. Protect-All`s Quick and Easy Wash. Only requires a gallon or two of water and extends the protectant on your finish.

Lowejackson
07-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Welcome to Autopia

Using a pressure washer is fine for rinsing but is not really a substitute for hand washing.

150 litres of water - wow, that is an incredible amount of water.

My suggestion would be

Rinse - pressure washer

Hand wash

Rinse - pressure washer