PDA

View Full Version : @#!$%& Truck!!...help needed

craigw133
07-28-2004, 03:42 PM
I`ve been taking real good care of my car`s finish for the past few months now, moreso than before. I mean I wash it every weekend and QD it at least 3 times during the week. Every other week I`d apply a new coat of SG and all is well...no swirls, paint is glossy and as smooth as can be and I`m pleased until I wake up to QD it this morning.

So I`m driving home on the fwy after a late night at the office. Nothing different except that I`m more tired than usual and just want to get home to sleep. I come up on the usual fwy interchange and I`m driving minding my own business and notice a big dumptruck-type vehicle but don`t think anything of it. The interchange is only one lane so I`m right behind the behemoth. As I get closer, I notice liquid dripping from the tailgate of the truck onto the pavement. I decide to keep my distance and see some of the liquid splatter on my windshield. Again, I`m too tired to think anything of it so I just shrug it off and think that a good QD the next morning will fix it...boy was I wrong.

To make a long story short, I wake up this morning and while I`m QDing the car, I noticed that the MF towels aren`t moving over the surface as smoothly as before and that they are actually clinging to the surface a bit. That`s when I take a closer look at the paint at an angle and notice thousands of sap-like spots all over the paint and windows! :angry Right then and there, I think of the damned truck that was in front of me late last night and begin cursing it. I ended up QDing the whole car anyway but couldn`t do anything about the little spots since I had to get ready for work. Even after a thorough QD, the paint felt bumpy and the smoothness was gone. Before, i was able to throw a MF towel across the hood and it would slide right off. Today I tried that, and it just stopped dead in its tracks. :angry

I have no idea what kind of crap that truck was leaking so I don`t even know what`s on my car. I can tell you that they are little drops that almost look like sugar or sap. They are so tiny that you`d have to look really close to see any, or you`d have to run your fingers over the paint to feel them. I used my fingernail to scratch off a few, so I do know that they will come off with some force. My question is, what should be my next plan of attack? Do you think claying and using the PC with AIO will take care of this mess? Or perhaps a simple wipe-over with some vinegar/water solution? Ugh! :mad:

TIA!

Matt

Cliff`s Notes:

- drove home late last night ended up behind big truck.

- truck`s dripping liquid from tailgate...liquid splatters on car.

- wake up this morning to QD only to find out finish is littered with tiny, hardened, sap-like spots.

- what to do next to get rid of spots?

Duckman
07-28-2004, 03:48 PM
uh oh.... sounds like you better sell it :p

du3ce
07-28-2004, 03:49 PM
ha

autoweenie
07-28-2004, 05:13 PM
About 6 months ago, my wife`s SUV came back with

some kind of grey/brown spec all over the car (the size

of grain of sand - or smaller). I don`t know where she

parked. The paint felt like shark`s skin. It could not

be washed off.

So, I took out my clay (yellow) and cleaned them all up.

A lot of stinking elbow grease... But it worked.

Perhaps, you should try to clay it.

gnahc79
07-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Whatever you do, try it out in a inconspicuous place like the bottom of the bumper.

I would:

1) Wash

2) Spray with 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water, let it sit for less than a minute, and lightly wipe off with a MF towel. If it doesn`t wipe off easy I wouldn`t try to rub it off or anything like that.

3) Clay

4) :nixweiss

I would avoid using a PC until you take care of whatever is stuck onto your car. Also, do it soon. You don`t want that stuff becoming more stuck onto your car from the summer heat.

good luck!

craigw133
07-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the reply, guys. Well I guess I`ll try to clay the car first before I do anything else. I hope that`ll fix it. :nixweiss

imported_Teck
07-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Any chance a good wash with some "extra" shampoo may work? It may just need to water and the soap to loosen it up. Only reason I ask if it may be as easy as a good wash is that you only mention QD`ing. Maybe if it`s saturated and washed it may loosen up.

Oh well I`m sure you`d wash before you clay anyway so we`ll see.