PDA

View Full Version : Color sand

OppJonez
07-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Hi this is my first post. I recently had my B5 Passat painted. The color is a real cool bluish purple with a pearl in it. Well it looked good at first, but then it started showing signs of orange peel. I recently took it back to the paint shop and they said that it need a "color sanding" and it would cost $200 to have it done. I assume that this is simular to wet sanding. My question is will this jack up my clearcoat? I already get scratches and swirl marks easily (its a dark color). Also is $200 alot to pay to have this done???

Thanks

OppJonez

Duckman
07-28-2004, 02:53 PM
$200 doesn`t sound like that much, until you factor in the fact that the people who painted your car are responsible for the crap job they did... you shouldn`t have to pay for them to sand it. How much did you pay for the repaint??

OppJonez
07-28-2004, 03:00 PM
The car is going to get repainted for free, because the painter did do a crappy job, but I never eleceted to have color sanded in the first place, for it was a paint option. The orange peel is not that bad but I did pay $800 for the paint job. It is geting repainted due to a run in the paint and a few other small problems. Will the color sand hurt the clear coat?

Duckman
07-28-2004, 03:35 PM
yes, absolutely it`ll hurt the clearcoat... they`re using sandpaper to remove these defects, hence removing a layer of clear. but I think "hurt" is the wrong word to use... As long as they`re not too aggressive, I wouldn`t worry. the problem is, if they did a crap job in the paint the first time, it`ll happen again. to me $800 doesn`t sound like a lot for paint, so maybe that`s why too...

jimmybuffit
07-28-2004, 07:37 PM
You may be dealing with the wrong shop.

Simply drive up to another body shop and ask their opinion/price.

It is their job to present a finish that is acceptable to you.

Have you looked at their work?

Beware...

Jim

acl99
07-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Dont sound like that good of a shop if color sanding is a "option", im pretty sure correcting their screwups is part of any decient paintjob. After this repaint check it out very closely before you even leave the shop next time, if its not up to your standards dont take it home. BTW are you talking about a complete repaint, or only a few panels? 800 seems like a pretty low figure for a complete repaint.

ncal
07-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Not to be mean man, but you get what you pay for when it comes to a paintjob. $800 for a repaint is very cheap and will be hardpressed to get them to spend a lot of time eliminating orange peel for the money you paid.

OppJonez
07-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Well down here in Tucson paint jobs are relatively cheap. It maybe because the sun down here fades out your paint in about five years. But I am not trying to act like I recived a show car quality paint job. I am a newbie when it comes to paint (most of my previous projects were always primer) This is my daily driver and I just want it to look nice. The shop is run by a friend and he was trying to cut me a deal. The orange peel is not that bad, for its just as bad as the orange peel on the factory paint on my wife Civic. I just was wondering is it worth $200 and will it make the paint dull to have it color sanded. The paint looks good right now i just want it to look better. I did get more than what I paid for. I also plan on looking it over very hard before driving off with it this time. By the way the $800 was for the cost of labor and supplys only.

Duckman
07-29-2004, 03:40 PM
ummm, labour and supplies only...?? well, what else should you be paying for??

If it`s color sanded, the paint will be dull ya, but if they give the car back to you like that, DON`T PAY! They should be polishing that bad boy after they sand it.

Demon Detailer
07-29-2004, 04:29 PM
This is how most body shops do it.

They paint the car, then the next day they color sand (either wet or dry) with a medium grit (1000 - 1500). Some finish with a lighter grit (2000). Then they buff it out using a high speed polisher and a compound.

Then they polish the car with a glaze to remove any compound swirls and increase the depth.

So, 200 dollars for color sanding isn`t bad. It is alot of work. It will be even harder because the paint has cured more than the usual next day after painting, which makes it harder to smooth out and make swirlfree

Good luck

Taxlady
07-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Duckman

ummm, labour and supplies only...?? well, what else should you be paying for??...

Profit, overhead. The owner was obviously just covering his "out of pocket", so he wouldn`t have a loss.

Duckman
07-29-2004, 04:37 PM
ahh, i get what u mean. the way I read it is the way i see on any bill i get from a mechanic: labour and supplies... the profit and overhead is always incorporated into that... could you imagine if a bill had it all spelled out for you.. "ya, so labour is $100, supplies, oh, $50, profit $400, and overhead $200" somehow, probably wouldn`t work out too well.

Taxlady
07-29-2004, 05:54 PM
:D

flynfrog
07-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Demon Detailer

This is how most body shops do it.

They paint the car, then the next day they color sand (either wet or dry) with a medium grit (1000 - 1500). Some finish with a lighter grit (2000). Then they buff it out using a high speed polisher and a compound.

Then they polish the car with a glaze to remove any compound swirls and increase the depth.

So, 200 dollars for color sanding isn`t bad. It is alot of work. It will be even harder because the paint has cured more than the usual next day after painting, which makes it harder to smooth out and make swirlfree

Good luck not to mention the risk of buring through

and for 800 bucks i woundt compalin to much thats pretty cheap

ncal
07-29-2004, 06:17 PM
The reason I say it is incredibly expensive to do a quality repaint is because of the expense for paint. Assuming you had no prepwork really needed, the paint still costs an arm and a leg. Anyways, for 800 be happy because you really can`t do much else for that price.