PDA

View Full Version : I just picked up a PC and if you would...

imported_Lawdog
07-27-2004, 06:48 PM
indulge me and let me bounce something off you! My truck is solid black, and the paint is really in pretty good shape, with no swirl marks. Only thing I would like to correct is that when I see it alone, it looks great, but when I go to some truck meets, it just ain`t cutting it anymore. Doesn`t seem a brilliant as the new ones(Mines 1 year old) I have always washed it properly and clayed it and used either Zaino or NXT on it. So, what I want is to bring the brilliance back to new. On my shelf in the garage is Meguiars Step 1 paint cleaner, Step 2 polish, Gold Class Wax, Show Car glaze#7, NXT Tech Wax and Spray Wax, Zaino #2 with ZFX(out of Z-6 spray) WAUD, Quick Detailer, and Mothers Pure Carnuaba, and Mothers Showtime QD. I only have the white pad that came with the PC, though I have terry bonnets for my other orbitals. What I planned was to clay the truck, then use the #7, 2 coats of NXT Tech, then Gold Class on top. If I do this, is there any reason to use the Step 2 polish prior to the glaze? And do I need to removce any oils after the glaze? Or would you suggest something else out of these ingredients? I hate to experiment with new things on a 45 thousand dollar truck, but hte only other choice is the wifes Sequoia, which cost the same:nixweiss

allkingz
07-27-2004, 07:15 PM
I don`t own a black car, but I have used the products you listed. I have been very pleased with the results of using #7 followed with NXT.

I can`t see any reason to use the Deep Crystal Polish before using #7, but I also can`t see how it would hurt anything to try.

My only real recommendation wour be to purchase additional pads for you PC.

Good luck.

imported_Lawdog
07-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks fo rhte response. I plan on getting more, but want ot do the truck in the next couple of days. I will probably use the PC with the #7, then apply the wax by hand.

mnbv
07-28-2004, 01:58 AM
If I was you I would definitly get more pads and read autopia`s ebook for info on the PC (pads and such). I would also make an order on autogeek.net of more polishes, glazes, sealers, waxes etc after researching here a lot and reading the ebook. See what you like best!

hirosh
07-28-2004, 02:12 AM
until you get more pads, you could

1. wash

2. clay

3. DC Step 1 Paint Cleaner w/white pad

4. DC Step 2 Polish

5. NXT x2

the DC Step 1 will help clear up the clearcoat. DC Step 2 will restore the oils. and NXTx2 will really make your black look good. you can replace DC Step 2 with #7 if you are used to working with #7, as #7 can be a bit hard to work with. and i don`t think you need the Gold Class because 1) NXT by itself on black looks good; and 2) i think Gold Class has a lot of solvents and may remove some of the NXT.

you could try using the white pad that came with the PC, but use it only for one step. i recommend using it with DC Step 1, as that will take advantage of that pad.

also, check out the learn section here, or check out meguiar`s website for some info from them.

good luck!

imported_Lawdog
07-28-2004, 10:24 AM
OK thanks for the advice. I already ordered the pad kit from Autopia, which should get me until I have the time to research some more on the best place/pads to get for what I want to do. Still kicking the idea of doing this part time for $$, so I will definitely be getting some more.

imported_fireberd350
07-28-2004, 10:42 AM
FYI: I personally do not like the look of NXT on black. I have my done my showcar and 2 trucks, all black, with a 1ZPP/NXT combo. It shines well but I have 3 complaints:

Its not deep - probably due to the prep

Its not wet - again a result of the prep

Its too dark - I think the NXT make the black look too dark, looks almost like it loses something that I can`t put my finger on.

I would look into another product for black. I cannot specifically recommend any b/c I myself am in the hunt. I will let you know how I make out.

imported_Lawdog
07-28-2004, 03:01 PM
That`s one of the reasons I was thinking of topping 2 coats of NXT with a coat of Gold CLass, hoping the carnuaba will deepen the shine.