PDA

View Full Version : bmw paint

imported_cutter
07-27-2004, 11:41 AM
I am in the process of buying a BMW X3. I have heard about German cars using paint that is softer? that needs special treatment or that some waxes are better on the paint than others? Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

tom p.
07-27-2004, 11:45 AM
There are many BMW owners here. I`d use the search engine for a while and do some reading.

What color are you getting? What products do you already have?

imported_cutter
07-27-2004, 11:54 AM
I have been using Meguires deep crystal polish and #26 wax on a white accord with a p-c. The BMW is kind of a medium dark red.

paco
07-27-2004, 11:58 AM
The other piece of information you`ll require is the site at which the X3 is being manufactured.

Audi`s have notoriously hard paint so being a Europian make doesn`t necessariliy mean a finish is hard or soft.

With X3 being a new vehicle, probably not a lot of people have had an opportunity to detail them yet. However, if you can find out which other BMWs are manufactured at that plant, that will help you get a baseline whether its a soft or hard clear that used.

The other thing is, most products work with every type of finish. It`s more about the user and condition of the paint that effect waxes.

For polishes, that changes slightly as some polishes do work better on harder finishes.

Paco