PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal with 3m 39004?

imported_00GREENMACHINE
07-27-2004, 10:25 AM
I bought some 3m heavy duty rubbing compound and used it on a scratch about 2 inches long. I applied it with a terry cloth and the finish is totally gone. All is left is a spot that is white on the clear coat. I used some s100 cleaning polish and then some s100 wax. It got a lot better but what will restore the luster finish? I dont know if I want to use this stuff anymore. I bought the swirl makr remove for dark cars 39009 i belive but that stuff does not get scratches out. I also used some other brand medium cut and it did not do well either. I figured that the heavy cut wouldl get it and it did for the most part I just dont remember it making the clear coat look like it did. :eek:

blackntan
07-27-2004, 10:30 AM
if you used it by hand and concentrated on one spot, it`s possible that you removed a good portion of the clear to get the scratch out, and hazed the finish pretty good... You may need to use the 39009 then the S100 cleaning polish over again a few times to get the hazing out before waxing it...

imported_00GREENMACHINE
07-27-2004, 03:31 PM
is the hazing normal. Man it has taken a lot of work to get the hazing to go away.

SVR
07-28-2004, 03:53 AM
3M cutting compounds are very course. Their SMR`s have fillers as well. I prefer Poorboys SSR range

imported_edschwab1
08-02-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by SVR

3M cutting compounds are very course. Their SMR`s have fillers as well.

This facilitates the need to follow up with less course compounds and polishes to bring the surface back to a high gloss. Hazing is normal when working with heavy and medium compounds.

If you like 3M products I would use the following to bring back the gloss.

3M FCRC #39002

3M Machine Glaze 39012

then your S100 combo.

Meguiars BSP or PB SSR products would also work.

What made you purchase a heavy cut compound?

Did you try other products to remove the scratch before this? Could you feel the scratch with your finger nail before using HCRC?

What products to you have on hand?

Eric

imported_00GREENMACHINE
08-02-2004, 08:56 AM
i have Meg scratch remove. I have some Liquid glass pre cleaner. I also have some 3m swirls mark remover for dark cars. Before I used this heavy cut compound I tried the medium and it did not work that great. Some of the scrtch you could fill was unrepairable but i wanted to get as much as I could out. I dont think I am going to use the heavy cut anymore because its so strong.

Here is some of the products I have

s100

s100 cleaner

Meguairs 3 step process

Mothers pre cleaner

NXT spray wax

Eagles wipe and shine ( best stuff in the world)

I really did not know the s100 cleaner wasn`t a polish. I probably would not of bought it. But I like the way the s100 wax goes on like butter and comes off easy. I guess I need some good polish

I was looking at auto zone and they have some

NXT tech wax ( 14.99)

Meguairs # 7

Meguairs #26

I have also been reading about the poorboys/clearkote products and like the fact you can put them on in the sub. I dont have access to shade untill the sun goes down and then the car is still somewhat warm. It has caused hazing before.

DO you have any expreience with

Vanilla Moose

EX or EXP