PDA

View Full Version : Couple quick questions before I buy

pjfreak
07-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Hello-

I have a couple questions before I make my purchase. I`m new to detailing and would like to get a PC to get me started.

Lowes has the PC 7336SP for 100 bucks. Should I purchase this one or is the 7424 a better buy? If I get the 7636SP is there anything I need beside pads to get started?

Here is the process I planning gon doing to my black 2000 TA. I have some minor swirls I would like to remove.

Dawn wash

Clay

Wash

Menzerna IP with yellow pad PC

Menzerna FP with white pad PC

Wash

Zaino Z5 x2

Zaino Z2 x1

Can anyone see any changes I need in either my lineup or products? Thanks for your help!

ZaneO
07-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Skip the Dawn wash. There`s no need for it, especially when polishing. It`s also not absolutely necessary to wash after FP. There are no oils or fillers left by FP.

You can buy the PC from Lowes and buy a backing plate plus pads, or you can get it from somewhere like Coastal Tool and it will come with a backing plate.

The most important thing you are leaving out is TOWELS. These are going to help keep your finish swirl and marr free. I suggest www.pakshak.com and www.exceldetail.com

Don`t be afraid to crank the PC up to 6 if your car needs it. It will make you job go much quicker. I suggest having several white pads around. You`ll find that you use them more often/frequently.

Here is a very helpful article: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

SK2003TypeS
07-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Ditto on the dawn wash. Only thing I use dawn for these days is washing my pads, applicators and presoak my MFs.

pjfreak
07-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the help! I can`t wait to get started.

Do I need to tape off the trim?

And is it ok to use the products on my platic panels? Most of the TA is this way...

Again thanks for the help!

Originally posted by ZaneO

Skip the Dawn wash. There`s no need for it, especially when polishing. It`s also not absolutely necessary to wash after FP. There are no oils or fillers left by FP.

You can buy the PC from Lowes and buy a backing plate plus pads, or you can get it from somewhere like Coastal Tool and it will come with a backing plate.

The most important thing you are leaving out is TOWELS. These are going to help keep your finish swirl and marr free. I suggest www.pakshak.com and www.exceldetail.com

Don`t be afraid to crank the PC up to 6 if your car needs it. It will make you job go much quicker. I suggest having several white pads around. You`ll find that you use them more often/frequently.

Here is a very helpful article: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

l33
07-27-2004, 01:00 PM
skip the FP get the FP2

l33
07-27-2004, 01:00 PM
skip the FP get the FP2, its much easier to work with.

SK2003TypeS
07-27-2004, 01:05 PM
I`d advise taping the trim. It maybe a little time consuming, but is well worth it towards the end result.

ZaneO
07-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Yep, I`d tape the trim. You can use Menzerna on all of the painted parts of the car.

pjfreak
07-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the advice.

Off to place order.... :D