PDA

View Full Version : is my paint clear coat, or single stage

RonTL
07-26-2004, 10:18 AM
I have a 1994 honda civic ex. It`s is malano red. Does anyone know if this year car has a clear coat, or single stage?

K_Csaxo
07-26-2004, 10:41 AM
when you wax it does the colour come off and stain the cloth? if so then it doesnt have clear coat.

Sveta
07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
The polish test works just fine, but I wonder about whites sometimes. But, if your still not sure after (and I doubt that) you can always get the paint code off the door jam and call your Honda dealer body shop.

SpoiledMan
07-26-2004, 11:46 AM
IIRC, the Honda reds of that time period have a "tinted" clear coat. Some of the newer Chrysler reds use a similar paint process.

RonTL
07-26-2004, 12:25 PM
what do you mean by tinted clear coat. I repaired a square foot section of my car and primes it, and bought some paint from advance auto (matched the color code from my car). Should i buy some clear coat and spray over it or not?

also i called a honda dealership and this woman said that all years of honda paint had clear coat mixed into the paint. Is this true?

RonTL
07-26-2004, 12:27 PM
i meant to say, i already primed and painted it

SpoiledMan
07-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by RonTL

what do you mean by tinted clear coat. I repaired a square foot section of my car and primes it, and bought some paint from advance auto (matched the color code from my car). Should i buy some clear coat and spray over it or not?

also i called a honda dealership and this woman said that all years of honda paint had clear coat mixed into the paint. Is this true?

I mean that the clear coat has some color to it. As far as what the lady at the dealer is saying, she doesn`t know what shes talking about. Call a good body shop or even consult any Honda brochure you will find that what she says is simply not true.

RonTL
07-26-2004, 04:56 PM
well i beleive you, but how would i getthe spot i repair to match my car better?

SpoiledMan
07-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Do you have a PC?

RonTL
07-26-2004, 08:00 PM
dont have a pc

RonTL
07-26-2004, 08:01 PM
do i need to spray a clear coat over it, or do i just use a polish, like izpp or something to try and match the other paint better?

SpoiledMan
07-26-2004, 08:45 PM
If you only sprayed the color coat then you will need some clear on there also. Make sure that if you do spray clear that you spray enough so that you can wet sand it a little. You will have to polish it up after that and you will likely need a machine to accomplish that. I would think that at the very least a PC and a good amount of time and patience. Have you considered having someone else complete this for you?