PDA

View Full Version : What can I use to safely remove dried water drops that appear etched in the surface?

00z71sierra
07-26-2004, 07:56 AM
It`s a white car so you have to look closely to see them; on the trunk lid, roof and hood including the windows. (i don`t know what to use on the windows either) So far I tried the Moose wax, HD cleanser, and this BASF compound that is made for Glasurit paint. With the last of the 3 it started to remove them slowly but I had to really press down hard. Is there anything out there that I can use that is somewhat more aggressive but won`t take the paint off either.

This is a car I picked up for a family member that they just bought. It came from NC so maybe it`s acid rain etching; I don`t know.

Thanks, 00z71sierra

a.k.a. Patrick
07-26-2004, 09:19 AM
Give vinegar a shot....lightly spray mist the area in question, let it sit 10-20 minutes, keep area wet. You can also apply a paper towel to keep the area moist after spraying. It will saturate itself, and just keep the PT moistened......Wipe away with MF, then attempt to polish out.......

Dalight
07-26-2004, 10:16 AM
AIO got off the spots that occured when sprinklers at the beach hosed my wife`s car.

If they`re truly etched in the CC, you`ll have to buff them out with a good polish.

SAZMan
07-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Another vote for AIO. I had sprinkler water get on my car and tried a QD with little success. Vinegar helped a little, but AIO took all of them right off. Good luck.

JayC
07-26-2004, 10:32 AM
I had decent luck with SSR 2.5 and a yellow cutting pad on my PC. I think the better solution would have been SSR 3 with a yellow or orange pad and then following up with SSR 2.5.

The BEST solution is probably a high speed rotary, though. The PC/SSR 2.5 combo worked my arm until it was about to fall off and still didnt get all the spotting.

00z71sierra
07-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the options. I will try them and post back what worked the best.