PDA

View Full Version : Rejuvenate 4mo old polymer layers?

beanbag
07-26-2004, 03:34 AM
I have 3/4 layers of UPP on my car that is about 4 months old now. The surface has lost it`s slickness and feels a little rough. Close inspection shows little bits of water-spot and bird/bug doo etchings. How should I rejuvenate the surface and make it smooth again? It might have bits of remnant S100 and QD on it. If I simply add another layer of UPP, will it have enough cleaners to dissolve the very top layer and not seal in dirt? Or should I try to gently clean it with UPC or a weak water/iso solution?

Next question, once I get the surface nice and smooth, should I bother using a carnauba as a "sacrificial" layer? Will a carnauba topper even stick to it? Should I use a "durable" carnauba like Blitz, a "quick and easy" carnauba like S100, or a "very quick and easy" carnaube like Eagle One WAUD?

SK2003TypeS
07-26-2004, 08:50 AM
If it`s been 4 months or so, I`d clay the car. For those spots with the water spots and bird droppings, I`d polish them out. After that, add layers. How old are the bits of s100 ? If you did that 4 months ago, I think the wash and clay will be enough to get rid of whatever`s left of it.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-26-2004, 09:16 AM
I`d go with a clay treatment, and if your happy with the outcome of that, go ahead and reseal with UPP. If it doesnt remove some of the spotting and stains, youll need to try the polish.....

Accumulator
07-26-2004, 11:42 AM
What they said :xyxthumbs

FWIW, I don`t bother topping the UPP on my S8. I`ll reapply (after claying) when I need to, and I wouldn`t want the wax to interfere with that. I let the last application of UPP be my sacrificial layer. But then I`m happy with how (untopped) UPP looks.

I try to reapply the UPP before the previous application has lost its slickness. Sorta staying one step ahead of things...

beanbag
07-27-2004, 05:47 AM
Wow, I never thought of trying to clay over a wax/polymer layer. I figure you always want to polish after claying to remove any accidental scratches.

ANyway, I might try claying over a small area, but I think it is too much trouble. I called 4* today, and the guy said that UPP has some light solvents, so I should be OK just re-applying another layer. He wasn`t sure if I used UPC if I would just take off the top layer, or blow everything away.

Accumulator
07-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by beanbag

Wow, I never thought of trying to clay over a wax/polymer layer. I figure you always want to polish after claying to remove any accidental scratches.

Well, you *do* have to be really careful to clay as gently as possible so you don`t induce any marring. If you`re not gentle enough, then you *can* go through the LSP and mar the finish. The idea is to approach it with the idea of "claying the sealant", just pulling dirt out of *it*. I just clayed and redid the UPP on my S8 after a roadtrip that left it pretty nasty (bugs, etc.). No marring, worked great.

Yeah, it`s too much trouble to do if it isn`t necessary, but IMO it`s still easier than using a polish. I just do it where it`s needed when I`m washing.

SK2003TypeS
07-27-2004, 11:12 AM
After reading a lot of Accumulator`s posts, I started to spot clay during regular washes and then cover it up with whatever LSP I`m toying with at the time. For some reason, my bumper is a tar magnet.

tom p.
07-27-2004, 11:44 AM
I noticed this thread and immediately thought of David`s latest Sonus offering: Acrylic Glanz.

Renew Your Klasse Shine In Just 5 Minutes With Sonüs Acrylic Glanz!

Sonüs Acrylic Glanz is formulated to maintain your Klasse All-In-One and Sealant Glaze show car finish in an easy-to-use spray. The unique SONACRYLIX™ formula contains the same German acrylic resins used in the award winning Klasse formula. Sonüs Acrylic Glanz enhances gloss and restores a durable acrylic seal. The new water-base formula is safe for all paint finishes, including clear coats.

Directions:

Use after washing to remove water spots and maintain a high gloss appearance. Restores paint protection. Do not use this product as a quick detailing spray. Mist Sonüs Acrylic Glanz on a single paint panel at a time. Wipe body panel with a microfiber buffing towel to apply and allow a moment to haze. Flip towel and buff to a high gloss shine.

I`ve had a chance to play with this product...only briefly...but it does lay down a legitimate fresh coating that is said to be 100% compatible with the Klasse products. To me, this stuff is a home run since you can get genuine "freshening" without establishing a new baseline layer. I view this as a huge timesaver.

For those using the Klasse product line, don`t miss this opportunity.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3089/26acglanz.jpg