PDA

View Full Version : When is it time to throw out a MF towel?

david328ci
07-25-2004, 12:52 PM
I have some microfiber towels that I`ve been using for a year and a half. I wasn`t aware that they aren`t supposed to be washed in hot water, and in my mind, I think they have become slightly less plush. Is it time to throw them out? They aren`t stained or anything. I might just be my imagination, but I think they might be less soft than when they were new.:nixweiss

HellrotCi
07-25-2004, 01:08 PM
I`ve got a group of 20-25 MF that I`ve been using for a little over 2 years and are still very soft. I don`t do anything special with them. Put them in the washer with liquid detergent and cold water and dry them in the dryer on regular setting. Frankly, IMO, cold water/hot water it doesn`t make any difference. I use cold water just because it`s more economical.

rstype
07-25-2004, 01:10 PM
If they get hard and crusty, use them for grungier wheel, doorjamb, or engine work.

Accumulator
07-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Before you relegate them to nasty-stuff duty (let alone pitch them), try washing them in something like Micro Restore. It *really* worked wonders on my MFs :xyxthumbs I`d tried most everything else (vinegar, *multiple* rinses, Oxyclean, you name it) and I was pretty skeptical about some "fancy detergent for MFs", but now I`m truly sold on the stuff.

RobD
07-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Who sells Micro Restore the cheapest? I`ve seen it different places for $14.95 (32 oz.) which is kinda pricey per volume. TIA

a.k.a. Patrick
07-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Im going to do a little demo with table salt.....

Before you chuck em, give them the cd test, see if their still good enough for your baby.....

Accumulator
07-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by RobD

Who sells Micro Restore the cheapest? I`ve seen it different places for $14.95 (32 oz.) which is kinda pricey per volume. TIA

Sorry, I dunno :nixweiss I got mine as part of a promo deal with some MFs. Whatever it costs, it`s worth it to me now that I`ve seen what it can do. I only use an ounce per load (I use it after first washing with regular detergent) so iIMO it`s not all that bad at under $0.50 per load (at least compared to marring your finish or having to buy new MFs). The difference in my BBT was just :shocked

III
07-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by david328ci

I have some microfiber towels that I`ve been using for a year and a half. I wasn`t aware that they aren`t supposed to be washed in hot water, and in my mind, I think they have become slightly less plush.:nixweiss

Not to start a war, but water temp doesn`t matter. This is a controversial topic. I`ve always used hot tap water to wash my towels and never noticed any difference in feel. Notice I said tap water, not boiling. I`m sure it`s true that hot water over 195 degrees will ruin microfiber, but anything lower than that will be safe. Water begins to boil around 195. I don`t know anyone who has their water heater set that high for home use. About 8 months ago I received a towel from a vendor which stated to use hot water when washing. This just backs up the point in my opinion.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-25-2004, 05:31 PM
John, Im with ya, never had a problem in hot. I think its just the manufacturers claim for protection.....One properly constructed shouldnt fall apart in hot water.....

david328ci
07-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Is it true that putting a distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle will increase fluffiness? I read that somewhere. Sounds like it would make for some stinky towels.

One of the mf applicators that came with the klasse twins I bought from CMA has been washed in hot water once and it is noticeably less fluffy and soft. I guess to some extent it is true that hot water hurts mf.

thinksnow
07-25-2004, 09:16 PM
All of my mf applicators, mf towels (including ww), foam applicators, foam pads, and sheepskin mitts go in the same hot water/Tide Free/1 scoop of Oxyclean/vinegar-in-the-Downy-ball wash.

The mf towels all go in a low heat tumble dry. Everything else gets an air dry.

No loss in softness at all--I attribute it 100% to the vinegar in the Downy ball. Also, a second rinse cycle will help. I have some Micro-Restore and like it as much as the aforementioned routine all in one step.

*edit* Almost forgot--no vinegar-related stinkiness.

Originally posted by david328ci

Is it true that putting a distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle will increase fluffiness? I read that somewhere. Sounds like it would make for some stinky towels.

One of the mf applicators that came with the klasse twins I bought from CMA has been washed in hot water once and it is noticeably less fluffy and soft. I guess to some extent it is true that hot water hurts mf.