PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out on Acura TSX

LittleLebowski
07-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi all. I`ve clicked the Learn button above and understand a lot but now I`m getting confused but all of the acronyms. AIO, EXP, etc...

I have a 2004 Carbon Gray Acura TSX. I`ve been using P21s Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser and One Grand carnauba wax (courtesy of carcareonline.com) I used these products carefully, applied only by hand using NO circular motions and ended up with marks on my paint in a straight line instead. Got angry, tried using the P21s with NXT and got better results but I`m still not happy. Is this a product failure or am I just using the wrong polish? Technique perhaps or do I need a certain product line.

I`m open to suggestions and advice or even "search for this, idiot!" :D

SK2003TypeS
07-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Did you clay the car ? You didn`t mention that or not. You may have dragged some grit across the paint which caused the scratches. There`s a great article on clay in the Learn button as well.

Here`s a list of the Autopia Acronyms (http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm)

Welcome to Autopia :wavey

LittleLebowski
07-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Haven`t clayed it yet. What products are you successfully using on your Acura?

SK2003TypeS
07-25-2004, 12:06 PM
I started out with Pinnacle`s Clay, but it`s kind of pricey. I don`t think I`ll buy it again. Mother`s makes a good claybar kit which usually sells for about $15 off the shelf. Clay Magic sold in the Autopia store here (http://autopia-carcare.com/detailingclay.html) is used by a lot of members here.

Even though your car is brand new, it should be clayed prior to your P21 Paint cleaner.

How to Clay (http://autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html)

Oh....and Congrats on the new TSX :D

LittleLebowski
07-25-2004, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I love my TSX. Sometimes I wonder if I should have held out for the new TL but the incredible gas mileage, cleaner looks (IMHO), and $7K discount sway me still. It`s a 6spd w/ navi and an intake. Gray leather interior that only sees Vynlex and Lexol. I drove to San Francisco from San Diego and averaged anywhere from 80-90MPH and got 31 MPG. Great car. Just need to get rid of these worthless factory Michelins. The car was my present to myself after surviving 8 years in the Marines.

So can you give me a rundown on what you use to achieve those specatcular results on your Acura? It sounds like I`m on the right track but need to read some more and ask the right questions. I`m more than a little worried aobut using a buffer on my brand new car too.

Mr Monk
07-25-2004, 12:42 PM
:welcome LittleLebowski.

Nice to have another Acura owner on board.

I also have the Aegean Blue `03 that SK2003TypeS has. I use Vanilla Moose and whatever carnuba wax that I feel like applying at the time, (Clearkote`s CMW, Megs #16, Pinnacle Souveran. I`ve even tried Stuf!)

I apply with a PC and get great results. Fortunately I can keep mine garaged so it`s looking real good 98% of the time.

Hey, don`t worry about using a buffer on the TSX. With a little common sense using the PC is foolproof. But this is something you have to decide for yourself. As soon as I got my new TL-S I grabbed the PC and went to work!

Sounds like those scratches need some Poorboys SSR1 or 2. I think that once you get rid of the scratches maintaining the finish with the products you mentioned should keep your ride looking just fine.

Just a PS: I wnet into the Acura showroom looking to buy a TSX last year but came out with a TL-S. I couldn`t pass up the great deal they were offering on the 03s. However I really liked the way the TSX handle in all respects. Great car. Good luck with yours!

Cheers!

Mr Monk
07-25-2004, 12:43 PM
SK2003TypeS . . BTW, how`s your Acura doing?

SK2003TypeS
07-25-2004, 03:13 PM
LittleLebowski,

Kool !! That`s some great gas milage. To date, the best I got is 27mpg on an all hwy trip. I have the comptech icebox intake. And yes, the factory Michelins....Boooo !!! :down

Since my car is still relatively new, I`ve been using the following routine:

1) Wash with Meguiar`s Gold Class (leave the car wet)

2) Clay with Pinnacles or Mothers (lube is some Gold Class and water)

3) Wash with Meguiar`s Gold Class and dry the car.

4) Polish with Meguiar`s #9 Swirl mark remover where needed.

5) Clean the paint with Pinnacle`s Paintwork Cleaner (similar to P21S Paint cleaner).

6) Wash again with Zaino Z7 (Sometimes)...According to Zaino "rules" you should do this. I`ve skipped this in the past and had no issues with Zaino bonding as far as I know. Maybe the life of the Zaino could have been extended.

7) Apply either Zaino Z5 or Z2 (with ZFX) and then buff it out. I use Z6 inbetween coats .

Now that`s just MY routine. There are tons and of products out there. If anything, the procedure and techniques you learn over time will give you great results. The products will only do so much.

As far as the buffer, it depends what you mean. A lot of people here use the PC 7424 which is very safe to use on your car. Rotary buffers are a different animal and should not be used until you really understand them.

Hope this helps. :)

Keep on reading the "Learn" section and ask questions. This board, unlike many others, is extremely friendly and people are willing to help you along.

LittleLebowski
07-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I think the 6spd helps a bit on gas mileage. That and the Mobil 1 and great aerodynamics :)

When you say polish, you mean by hand , right?

BTW, just bought a 4-2-1 DC header for my car. $235 on eBay. How could I resist :D

SK2003TypeS
07-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Dr Groove,

Don`t you just love the color ? :D

My TL is doin` fine. I recently saw the tranney recall announcements, but I`m not impressed. They`re still not fixing the actual problem. :mad:

Other than that, I have no complaints....errr, except the paint isn`t too great...lol.

SK2003TypeS
07-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Nice !! I use Mobil 1 too.

When I say polish, I`m usually using the PC 7424. Unless I`m doing a small spot, then I`ll do it by hand.

Headers !?!?! I gotta get my a set. :)