PDA

View Full Version : Is there a *optically clear* sealant - metal application

pingable
07-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Just spent the last couple of hours getting the wheels all cleaned up. Man....less than 6 months old and my HRE`s sure are taking a beating on NYC roads. There are 2 scratches 6 inch long that are fingernail deep.

My final step is always Mothers Billett Polish. It get`s the deep dish wheels mirror perfect. However, I am always struggling finding a perfect answer on how to seal it . If I don`t, it will oxidize fairly quick. I didn`t get them cleared as I figuered it would chip with either tire mounting or the roads which I now have proof.

I used 1Z Glanz today. I have previously used Zaino and also Klasse with similar results. Once applied, the metal loses some of the MIRROR finish. While it`s still very shiny, it`s not super reflective. It takes on a slight haze to it.

Dying to try Zoopseal but it sure is $$. I can`t seem to find any reviews from anyone on this product yet also. Anyone using a good sealant that doesn`t haze the metal at all ?

imported_Totoland Mach
07-24-2004, 05:14 PM
chefwong: I too have a set of polished Team III wheels which require a lot of maintenance. Mother`s Billet is excellent stuff. I`m probably going to put Zoop Seal on this fall prior to the winter weather. I`ve heard good comments about Zoop but haven`t made the $$ committment yet.

grt1today
07-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Congrats on the HRE`s. I still haven`t put mines on yet and we`re closing in on august(bad weather here is only a couple of months away) so I will probably wait until April or May of next year believe it or not. I am so scared to scuff these up. Anyways did you get the polished without clearcoat wheels? If so I`ve heard the best thing you can do is to keep cleaning and polishing them endlessly. One friend of mines on another forum was complaining a week after he got them that they were starting to look bad, and he spent a couple hours cleaning them up. He then realized that this was gonna be the norm for him if he didn`t want that milky look... Good luck. Which model # Hre`s did you get??

pingable
07-24-2004, 05:33 PM
640R (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35867)

I got the centers brushed/clearcoated with the lip just straight high polished. I`ve been washing the wheels 2-3X a week.

Another annoying feature on my wheels - is that the bottom backside of the wheel tends to collect a pool of water whenever it rains, etc. I never noticed it being so bad on the OEM manufactuer wheels.

But I guess it`s the price I pay for having a nice set of wheels.

grt1today
07-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Awesome wheels, as are all Hre`s. Yes an endless battle is the price you will pay for having such nice wheels, but just keep reminding yourself that you are way ahead of the game with the Hre`s...:bow