PDA

View Full Version : Wax question...

jmag44
07-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Im planning on going to town on my old dog (93 ranger) in a few days with the following...

3m rubbing compound

3m smr

meguiars carnuba

prestone synthetic wax

The thing is I only have enough carnuba left for one coat which is why I bought the synth. I was planning on using the tried and true carnuba as my base and build with the synth which should last longer.

I was wondering 2 things:

will the carnuba and synthetic not mix well together?

and

should I use the synthetic as a base or only use the synthetic and scrap the carnuba?

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

Dalight
07-23-2004, 10:30 AM
No, they will not work together in the way you`re talking.

Synthetics generally will not stick to a carnuba, but carnubas will stick to synthetics.

You`d need to use the synthetic as a base. If I were you, I`d get some Meg`s synthetic (NXT or so) instead of the prestone.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Prestone isnt "bad", but as said, there are much better. The Carnauba wont actually stick, it will rather "float" on top of the synthetic. Are you doing this all by hand ? A PC would be a great benefit in removing what the compound may leave you (small scratches). That compound is a medium abrasive, the SMR will clean up real nice, but i wouldnt want to be doing this by hand.

Demon Detailer
07-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Hey guys,

B Dawg has it right. Use the Synthetic. If you aren`t happy with the depth it gives, let it cure for about 24 hours. Then use the carnauba over the top. This is why. most synthetic polishes contain amino-functional silicones which cure. You get about 50% of your protection when you wipe off the haze. The polymer will cure and cross link over the next 24 hours. So, if you go right over the top with the Carnauba, you are going to remove alot of the synthetic and hurt its longevity.

Dennis H.
07-23-2004, 01:26 PM
I`ve reproduced your steps on the hood of my car. I`ll let you know how it looks as soon as the sun comes out. Right now after looking at it under flourescent, then sodium hallide and then cloudy skies I see no difference between adding the synthetic first or carnauba first. I think the sun will tell a different story.

Dennis H.
07-23-2004, 02:54 PM
The sun came out finally and I see no real visual difference between the two on my car. To me the combo does suffer a little with clarity and depth.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-23-2004, 03:25 PM
It has been long believed that certain Carnauaba toppers add certain reflective, and depth qualities. There is no way that applying a Carnauba, and topping with a polymer will give ANY benefit. The Poly will not adhere. It needs to be applied in a vice versa pattern, if any additional quality is desired. Personaly, i find no benefit to topping a Poly with a Carnauba, other than possible dust control, and additional slickness.....(Which are definite benefits) But as for visual? Not in my book....

Dennis H.
07-23-2004, 03:45 PM
I`ve learned, chemically speaking, that the problems with compatibilities are far and few between. The problems of products not sticking or working well together primarily comes into play with amino functionals or branched silicones. Amino`s seem to enjoy play with themselves! So trial and error will be the best guide unless the mfg tells you what`s in the product and that doesn`t happen very often.

groebuck
07-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Yah and Prestone`s IS a horrible product - my mom bought it so I could do her car when I was home over x-mas -Man it was bad it would not come off the finish come hell or high water!

ALAN81
07-24-2004, 12:05 PM
want to get away cheap TW ultra gloss if your car is preped right you will get a nice shine for about 8 bucks

ktlimq
10-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Meguiars has nice explanation about layering. Whether the product contains cleaner or not plays an important role in layering.