PDA

View Full Version : 303 Aerospace Protectant: Repackaged Armor All?

sw20_og
07-23-2004, 01:22 AM
I recently picked up an 8oz bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant from my local REI and I finally had the chance to use it today. What I find interesting is that it seems to have the same qualities of Armor All. When I applied it to my dashboard and door panels I was expecting a matte finish but it looks shiny and a little oily/streaky. It also smells almost exactly like Armor All.

Anyone else experiencing this?

MattZ28
07-23-2004, 01:32 AM
303 is definitely NOT ArmorAll. 303 is milky white, water based, and has UV-protectant qualities.

l33
07-23-2004, 06:16 AM
Make sure you wipe it with a clean towel afterwards. Your not supposed to let it sit.

imported_nowaterno
07-23-2004, 06:28 AM
A couple of things to help you get good results with 303:

Apply it to your cloth not your dash. Much more uniform application.

Buff it to a low sheen. No it won`t leave a matte finish but it does protect surfaces from UV to the extent that my convertible`s interior ( both vinyl and leather ) look new 5 years into its life.

And to the poster above: are you sure you aren`t supposed to let it sit for a bit before wiping it off? I don`t have my bottle here so I cannot check, but I seem to remember that you should let it soak in a bit before buffing it off.

303 isn`t perfect, but I think it`s a great alternative to UV cracked and faded leather and plastic and a much lower sheen to any armor all I`ve seen. I still remember the horror of putting armor all on my dash. aiiieeee:)

l33
07-23-2004, 06:45 AM
The bottle says to spray on wipe dry. I let it sit a little, i meant not to leave it and not wipe it off. Also good point about applying it to an applicator.

07-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Manufacturer says: `wet (not moisten) cloth, apply to vinyl, let sit about 5 min and buff dry` (5 min= about the time to complete the car for me, so I just start buffing the beginning after applying to the end...)

Big Leegr
07-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by MattZ28

milky white, water based, and has UV-protectant qualities.

You just described Armor All!:p

Seriously, Armor All has changed its formula from "bad silicones" to "good" ones. As far as I understand, from the Armor All website and from other sources, AA is milky white (seen it), water based (read it), and has UV blockers (web site).

This is just an observation. I`m not implying that 303 and AA are the same. They just have some similar characteristics. ;)

imported_BretFraz
07-23-2004, 10:08 AM
These two products, and many others, are water based using a polydimethalsiloxane for gloss and protection. Some products also have UV inhibitors and other ingredients.

If you pour out some product and it looks milky and watery, then its like 303 and Armor All. Its the products that are clear or look/feel oily that are typically solvent based and use a dimethal silicone oil.

This is Protectants 101. Spend some time searching the archives to learn more.

bufferdan
07-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by BigLeegr

You just described Armor All!:p

Seriously, Armor All has changed its formula from "bad silicones" to "good" ones. As far as I understand, from the Armor All website and from other sources, AA is milky white (seen it), water based (read it), and has UV blockers (web site).

This is just an observation. I`m not implying that 303 and AA are the same. They just have some similar characteristics. ;)

YEAP! I just went back to armoral and i like it!