PDA

View Full Version : I think SSR1 does have fillers

Pages : [1] 2

beanbag
07-22-2004, 10:31 PM
I called Poorboy`s, and he said that it doesn`t. Maybe it`s like when Meguiar`s, when they say stuff doesn`t have fillers, but the polishing oils "just happen" to fill.

Here is some evidence:

It leaves the surface "too" glossy, smooth, and slick for such little polishing (I can pass the PC over the area only once)

When I used Scratch-X over a SSR1`d area, it left smudges that were impossible to buff out until I went over it with SSR1 again.

Surface is not left squeaky.

Anyway, I used SSR1 to polish an older Corvette with maroon paint, and I think it worked pretty well. The best thing about it is that it wipes off super easy.

hondaguy2582
07-22-2004, 10:34 PM
do an alcohol wipedown, and see if the swirls remain. If not, then it doesn`t have fillers!!!!!

tpgsr
07-22-2004, 10:34 PM
try spraying it with 50/50 alchol water, if it has fillers, they will be cleaned away, and you will be able to tell.

Steve is a stand-up guy, i doubt that he would lie and say it does. But hey you never know untill you test :)

imported_Intel486
07-22-2004, 11:11 PM
I don`t think Steve would lie to you. It might have a silicon in it for a lubricant as many abrasive compounds do this. They aren`t in there for the purpose of filling in imperfections.

rstype
07-23-2004, 01:08 AM
To me, SSR1 does fill imperfections. This isn`t bad or anything... I see no reason why Steve would be ashamed of it.

mnbv
07-23-2004, 01:11 AM
what polishes don`t fill?

Accumulator
07-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by mnbv

what polishes don`t fill?

Menzerna FP comes to mind.

But I too think the whole anti-filler thing is a bit blown out of proportion. As long as the finish looks great, the LSP bonds, and the marring doesn`t suddenly come back as bad as it ever was, I don`t really care if the last 1% of the look is because of "fillers".

EBPcivicsi
07-23-2004, 09:29 AM
I read somewhere that Steve stated that some of the PD`s could make the defects appear to be filled.

I know that he would NOT intentionally mislead a customer.

I find SSR1 to be a great final polish.

imported_Blake
07-23-2004, 09:30 AM
The idea of a 50/50 alcohol wash was Steve`s idea.

imported_memnuts
07-23-2004, 09:34 AM
The "one" swipe test is, with all due respect" an unfair test.

Any product one places on a finish has some "filling" capacity, even water. With that said, some products are designed with ingredients that are made to adhere and fill via a "packing / cementing" process that fills surface imperfections with more relative durability to removal by subsequent surface preparation steps (i.e glazing and waxing). Water evaporates and solvents evaporate. Oils are too mobile and are quite easily removed by a solvent/ shampoo wash/wipedown. The filling you are probably witnessing is the carrier and lube of the SSR1.

Do a IPA wipe down as other have stated for the presence of "permanent" fillers "after" completely polishing the surface.

rstype
07-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

"permanent" fillers

??

BillNorth
07-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by BW

??

:D :D :D :lol :lol :lol

Scott P
07-23-2004, 01:07 PM
The "fillers" you are referring to may just be leftover carriers and distillates that weren’t removed. There are no silicones or oils that I know of that are dedicated to filling swirls like other products.

Then again, I’m not a chemist, so I can’t say for 100% sure.

Dennis H.
07-23-2004, 01:59 PM
I`ve found the alcohol test to be helpful in finding out what type of scratch pattern the polish left behind as well as how well it hides. My HMO, the less it hides the better.

ALAN81
07-23-2004, 02:22 PM
WHY would Steve lie? He is the most honest guy on the planet!!