PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a Zaino devotee, at least...

taylor04
07-22-2004, 08:04 AM
I was until I found this place! I can`t believe the wealth of info on this board. Tons of helpful people too. Anyway...on to my problems.

I have been using Zaino on my car since I brought it home from the dealer 1 year ago. It looks d@mn good, but I find myself wanting more. I stripped everything down this past spring, clayed the car, and have worked up to about 5 coats of Z-5 and 8-10 coats of Z-2.

I have a few scratches I would like to buff out. I am also striving for a deeper black, if you know what I mean.

Here`s the plan so far:

1. Wash w/ Z-7 or Sonus Gloss Shampoo

2. Clay any problem areas

3. Attempt to buff out some minor scratches (not sure of which product to use)

4. Wash

5. P21S Paintwork Cleansing

6. AIO

7. Wash

8. Z-2 w/ ZFX, multiple coats over several days w/ Z-6 in between.

9. P21S Carnuba

What do you think? Any issues w/ these steps? All done by hand btw.

Thanks,

Joe

imported_memnuts
07-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Looks good. Welcome to Autopia. :wavey

Buffing out surface marring by hand can be very hard (unless you are ScottWax ;)). I suggest getting a PC especially for anyone that owns a black daily driven vehicle.

Buffing: PC - Menzerna IP with polishing pad. Menzerna FP or FPII with finishing pad.

By Hand: :nixweiss

I normally wash at this point to remove any polishing grit from surface and cracks and crannies. Re-inspect work and correct any areas that you are not satisfied with.

You can drop the P21S GEPC or substitute it with VM (very mild abrasives and chemical cleanser) and follow with the AIO (pure chemical polish/cleanser). Both these products are rather dust free when used in proper amounts (small).

At this point make sure your finish is prepped to your desired gloss, depth, wetness and reflective.

After AIO I would just do a Z6 spritzed MF wipedown and proceed to the Z5/ZFZ x 2 or 3. Z2/ZFX x 5 max.

At this point your paint should be very deep, rich, reflectivity and wet appearing. If not, you can try topping with P21S for the carnuaba appearance.

Buick_guy
07-22-2004, 11:53 AM
for the scratches, you could go with meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish, but that needs a PC also.

Welcome BTW.

taylor04
07-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys. I`ll be sure to get some b4 and after pics.

And yes, a PC is definetly in the near future :D