PDA

View Full Version : Rubber door molding is white!!

blankpro
07-22-2004, 06:52 AM
I am detailing my 83 380SL and the door rubber molding is almost white in some areas.

"Back To Black" didn`t work on this at all, and neither did repeated application of "Simple Green".

What to do?

petraidm
07-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Do you know if it is white because of wax / polish staining? When I use to use a wax that stained trim, I used 303 convertible top cleaner to get it off... but then again, at most the trim was stained for only a couple of days - two weeks max.

blankpro
07-22-2004, 09:27 PM
no, it was not wax etc. I know this because I can see that it is actually cloth as well as rubber in parts (a standard practice for `80s era Benz`s).

morrison
07-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Blankpro

I have wax residue on my plastic exterior trim which gives it a white chalky look along the edges. I have orderd Groits wax residue remover with applicator top from Griots Garage per a recommendation from one of our brother/sister detailers out there. Until I receive and try it I do not know how it works.

Brad

longarm
07-23-2004, 01:41 AM
Should be a simple solution. I had some wax on my exterior seals and my plastic mirror that was there for about 6 months. I didn`t have time for detailing and wasn`t as serious as now about it. Go to your local auto parts store and look for Mothers "Back to Black." Some of that on a rag and some elbow grease should take care of your problem. If might take some serious scrubbing, as in my case, but it shined after that. Then after you get it out, put some 303 on it. You will be golden.

imported_CBX Carl
07-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclean/eraser_useage.shtml

blankpro
07-26-2004, 09:15 PM
I ordered and got Griot`s rubber and trim paint - and it was the answer.

The `back to black` doesn`t work for this - the cloth and the rubber were whitened and did not respond to it.

I had cleaned these parts with wax remover - I assume that the lighter color was simply drying out rubber.

the applicator for the trim `paint` was like using a shoe ploish applicatior - it went on easily and accurately.

thanx all!!

Dennis H.
07-26-2004, 09:26 PM
We also have a Bug, Bird and Tar Wipe that works great at removing dried on wax. Try treating the trim pieces before you wax, the wax doesn`t stick well to B2B or vinyl protectants.

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
07-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by blankpro

I ordered and got Griot`s rubber and trim paint - and it was the answer.

The `back to black` doesn`t work for this - the cloth and the rubber were whitened and did not respond to it.

I had cleaned these parts with wax remover - I assume that the lighter color was simply drying out rubber.

the applicator for the trim `paint` was like using a shoe ploish applicatior - it went on easily and accurately.

thanx all!!

I was just wondering if the Griot`s is a paint or a dye? i.e. Does it sit on top of the trim or is it absorbed right into it?

JayC
07-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Says in the description its a dye. I may need to get some of this and try it out on my wife`s CRV.